Thread: Oops

Oops

I had this Bradford Pear bowl roughed out and coated with AnchorSeal when I clumsily knocked it off a table. It hit the floor and broke! Upsetting but not really a big loss. I am posting in the hope that it might help someone, this is what I consider a good thickness for a bowl rough-out (about 10% of diameter with the bottom slightly thinner). Thicker rough-outs are more likely to crack and if much thinner they may warp too much for finish turning. Some woods (like elm) are pretty forgiving but some others (like oak) have a narrow window between too thick and too thin. Careful drying (by your chosen method) is still necessary of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think that I have ever had a bowl break like that without some grain problem. Was bowl freshly turned and hit on rim? It would have made a nice bowl. I have seen a bowl and goblet cut with band saw to show the uniform thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I don't think that I have ever had a bowl break like that without some grain problem. Was bowl freshly turned and hit on rim? It would have made a nice bowl. I have seen a bowl and goblet cut with band saw to show the uniform thickness.
    I have never had a "good" rough-out break before; I suppose it hit the floor in the worst orientation. It was freshly turned.

Sorry to see that!

Haven't had a bowl break but did manage to drop a large hollow form that I was getting ready to finish turn. It was a beautiful curly maple southwestern form... notice I said was. Slipped out of my hands as I removed the last of the brown paper bag I had wrapped it in... hit my carpeted shop floor and completely split in half! Never seen anything like it... so kept it in the shop for over a year thinking I would find a way to repair it. Moved it out to our firewood pile this past fall... no sense wasting time on it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Sorry to see that!

Haven't had a bowl break but did manage to drop a large hollow form that I was getting ready to finish turn. It was a beautiful curly maple southwestern form... notice I said was. Slipped out of my hands as I removed the last of the brown paper bag I had wrapped it in... hit my carpeted shop floor and completely split in half! Never seen anything like it... so kept it in the shop for over a year thinking I would find a way to repair it. Moved it out to our firewood pile this past fall... no sense wasting time on it.
    There is a proper mourning period required for such sad occasions.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    There is a proper mourning period required for such sad occasions.
    Too true...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Don't feel badly. I suspect there was a fault in the grain that went unnoticed. It probably would have cracked while drying. Even if that's not the case. I hope it makes you feel better. Profile was perfect for a rough our. We all have our stories. I was final buffing a hollow form and tried to change my grip on it while buffing near the opening. Buffing wheel caught it and sent it flying. That gave me a chance to examine my wall thickness.
    faust