Thread: Insulation

Blog Entries

Insulation

Amazing how much insulation and building design helps. I was more concerned with summer temperatures in my shop but today it wa 5 deg F when I got up and my workshop was
    40 deg without any heating. I got it up to 55 with my woodstove, it will be even better when i get my ceiling fan installed since it is 70 deg at 10 feet up in the shop. The shop is on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I googled Las Chavez, I see it is at 4800 ft. Explains the 5 degrees and snow. I worked in the Portales area in the winter, coldest I have ever been. Slept outside the first night there, went down to -55 degrees. 70 degrees by 10 am. Diesel fuel was frozen. Talk about temp swings!

I wholeheartedly agree Bill. Insulation is the best investment for both hot and cold. Some people don't get it and will pay forever. Looks like you have a nice place there.

I am in southern Indiana, not nearly as cold. I built my shop 2 years ago in June. The first year I only had insulation in the walls (R19). I had the builder put the bubble insulation in the attic rafters (R12 if you believe that). I had installed about half the ceiling rafters with R13 over the bubble insulation, but had to quit that as I needed the workshop for my house building. My permanate heat was not installed at that point. I tried heating with a 200,000 but propane heater, but could only warm for a short time. This summer I finished putting the R13 up and installed my hot water radient heat. I also put a drop ceiling in. R38 is required in the ceiling for residential in my area. I only have R25, but my heat does not run during the day time even cloudy days. (Solar effect?). My gas bill to heat my 1500 sq foot shop was only $30 for December, so not much incentive to add more insulation. Point is even a little insulation goes a long way.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

You got a lot more snow than we did! I had our attic re-insulated last spring to R49 (was ~ R11) Our gas bill is running about half of what it was last year.
    I need to clean out all the crud in the shop attic and insulate in there. Insulation is good!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We got 3" of snow(Central,KS)overnight, plus some small drifts. Didn't go to church too risky. Some area churches closed anyway. Did work in shop. 20x28. That is 1/2 of my building. I put double doors in and the other half is garage. Outside Shop looks and matches the house. 4" fiberglass is ceiling and sidewalls, I have a sub-floor in attic, installed a pull down door. Garage doors are insulated.Other Exterior doors are metal insulated. Install vinyl windows with double glass. I use propane to heat. Stove is attached to wall. I regulate the heat when I'm in the shop. My window air conditioner conked out. Need to replace. My shop has horse mats at all the work stations, those are great. I have to turn down the heat in a fairly short time.