Thread: Engraving on porcelin plates

Engraving on porcelin plates

Hi all,

I have been asked to engrave a hotel logo on 200 porecelin dinner plates. It has to be a contrasting permanent mark. the plates are for decoration only and will not be used for food. I dont know how to do it.
    Please help.

thanks
    Abdul

Might be able to use Cermarc of some kind
    http://www.cerdecmark.com/

I think there are mixes that work with glass and ceramics. But I haven't tried them so that's all I can say.

Shaddy

I would sandblast them myself then paint fill.

Abdul,

We have done what you are asking about. The hardest process is the application of the cerdec for glass. What we did is to mix the solution two to one ( two parts alcohol to one part cerdec) we then microwave the plate for 30 seconds to warm up the plate slightly then air brush the cerdec solution It is very important to get a very smooth and even application of the cerdec this is why we heat the plates slightly so the cerdec dries very quickly and evenly.

Then we lasered away here is a pic of how they turned out. Practice on a plate first to get the cerdec solution and the air brush settings down correctly this is the hardest part.

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Abdul,
    Is the hotel providing your with the plates? If your are providing the hotel with the plates, sublimation might be the way to go......it sounds like the order might be large enough to pay for the equipment if you don't already have it...
    Just a thought

Chuck Burke
    American Pacific Awards.

Mike

thanks for the advice. This is a potential order for 200 plates with more to come if I provide a satisfactory product. Is air brushing the only viable method of application or can a sponge be used as well. should I be ordering the cerdec for glass or ceramic. Ferro offers both.

Chuck;
    The hotel will supply the plates but can I still think about sublimation on those plates or sumlimation plates different

Abdul

P.S: I came across a company on the web a while ago which specializes in equipment for tranferring images onto porcelain plates through a two step process. cant remember the name. Can anyone help.

Abdul,

Yes air brush is the best way to apply the cerdec you would need to get the ceramic cerdec. If you can the sublimation is faster, easier, and cheaper you may want to investigate this a little more.

Abdul,
    You might want try www.alphasupply.com in Tennessee. Another source would be www.bisoncoatings.com or try www.getsublimation.com
    There is also a forum www.dyesub.org that might help.

Chuck

Here is a photo of some porecelin tile I did. The tile is from the same company but every peice lasered a different color. I did not use any thing on them at all, just used the same setting I do for cermic tile.
    Attached Images Attached Images