Thread: I Would Like to Get a Lathe - CNC Edition

I Would Like to Get a Lathe - CNC Edition

I started this conversation in the Turner's Forum and was directed here. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...to-Get-a-Lathe

"Hello there:

I have no experience with a lathe, but I'm pretty sure I would like to give it a try. To start, I'm interested in making identical wood-handled shaving brushes in small batches. I stumbled across videos of mechanical duplicator attachments that follow the profile of a jig, a semi-automatic machine that looked pretty interesting, and small tabletop CNC lathes like the Sherline CNC Mini Lathe 4400. I'm open to used equipment and don't have a budget in mind yet, but would appreciate any info to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
    "

Since then, I'm been reading through old threads and have a better idea of what is out there, but would be interested if anyone has anything to add.

-Matt

Not sure your budget.....

Have you looked here......

http://www.lagunatools.com/cnc/Turne...es-and-Carvers

Blessings,

Kevin

Hey Kevin: No real budget in mind yet -- just dreaming at this point. The ShopBot Indexer looks pretty cool too.

Guys...
    I know it is a little early for me to get in on this, but I am in the prototype phase of a CNC conversion for the Jet JWL-1642-2EVS Lathe. So far it has been an enjoyable project that has started a life of its own. Features (at present) are: Full length backnife cutting, full CNC control of direction/speed of lathe motor, Teknic ClearPath servos, integral computer, GUI by LCD touchscreen, 2 tool automatic changer using round, detail and square ceramic insert cutters. (any 2)

I will be videoing test cuts in the next month or so. I would be interested in hearing "feature requests" from commercial or frequent users that might be interested in such a machine, especially as it applies to specific products.

For Clarification, this will NOT be a stepper controlled indexing lathe, it is a traditional lathe with CNC controlled cutters. More like a CNC copy lathe.
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 01-06-2015 at 3:52 PM.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

We have a large Techno Premium machine with multi-Tool and multi-Head and we have a 4th axis for it and it will do parts as long as 10' feet with a 14" turn radius. ( We have 19" of Z Height) The unit uses linear guide rails for the heavy duty headstock center steady, and tail stock but we have found it to be a little awkward if we just need 4 legs quickly...It takes a little time to setup and to align. Great piece of equipment if your going to do 48 pieces.

We are considering something like the Laguna for the one up parts........ there are definitely more expensive production unit on the market but price rises accordingly.

You probably want be able to use programs like Aspire if your going to do complex turned parts. You will have to go to a more dedicated cam package like Rhinocam/VisualMill Turn or other turn/rotarty programs.

Let us know what you decide be interesting.

Blessings,

Kevin

Kevin...
    Thanks. I am not 100% sure where it will go, but I have had good success with using VCPro to generate lathe toolpaths. Of course, there is no "full round" 3D preview, but in most cases that feature is not needed.

BTW, I edited my post above with some additional info.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Gary: Very cool project. Hope you continue to update your progress.