Thread: A dynamic bowl- Huisache

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.

A dynamic bowl- Huisache

I know---say what????
    Made use of all the shop time this weekend--did get more than one thing started and done. I had cut a nice round of Huisache and managed to get a fairly nice bowl out of it. This species is a kind of a cousin of Mesquite but is actually an Acacia--has nice grains and a different hue than Mesquite (the ranchers around here say wee-satch--but with a sneer--not one of their faves). Was kind of a challenge with the worm holes, big bark inclusion, and it actually warped while I was working on it! Talk about a dynamic piece of wood. As a result the edge is a little thinner on one side--only see if you're looking for it. There's also a "shake" crack from one edge--but it's not going anywhere.
    Inlay is turquoise/epoxy, finish is poly. Bowl is 13 x 2.75 inches and a beauty with character.
    IMG_1179.JPGIMG_1178.JPGIMG_1180.JPGIMG_1182.JPG
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

I like the wavy edge on a round bowl. I've got some much less attractive roughed-out bowls I'm gonna leave the warped edge on. Nice piece!

I like it, the shape and all. A real case of the wood determining it's own shape.
    Too bad it doesn't have more color.

You don't see much Huisache, but I like it. It is hard to come by in the larger size. I picked up my first last year that had been on a burn pile for some time and the sap wood was really eaten up by worms. You got a nice piece there. I used a Danish oil type finish and the color seemed to pop more and multiple coats produced a nice sheen. The wood does seem to be softer and lighter weight than Mesquite, but I would like to turn more.