Thread: Jtt Trans-former

Jtt Trans-former

I'm interested in this gated tool as an intermediate step between basic handheld hollowing tools (I have a Sorby Hollowmaster now, not so great for me) and the more elaborate articulated and other boring bar setups for small/medium hollow forms. Any user feedback?

I've had one for a few years now and love it. It will not go as deep as the bigger, articulated tools, but the price point and the support that Tom offers convinced me to go for it. I've not regretted it at all. If you have any specific questions, ask away.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Hey guys, I'm always intrigued by hollowing tools but don't know this tools. Can you give the complete name or link to the product. Sorry if it's obvious and I'm just not seeing it. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Scott - just Google JT Turning Tools.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Grant,

I guess I would like to know how much more control you can get with it over a purely hand-held tool, and whether the tool tends to bind between the upper and lower plates under load. Also, do you have a heavier duty captured system to compare it to? I am trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get a full-on system, in which case I am leaning toward the JTT Gizmo, although it is pricy compared to others.

I don't own the tool but was curious if you could withdraw it back out of the captive rest. The set screws on the articulated section appear to be thicker than the bar which would require pulling back the banjo, removing the handle, then take the tool out the front. A laser would sure be nice. Grant?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Grant,

I guess I would like to know how much more control you can get with it over a purely hand-held tool, and whether the tool tends to bind between the upper and lower plates under load. Also, do you have a heavier duty captured system to compare it to? I am trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get a full-on system, in which case I am leaning toward the JTT Gizmo, although it is pricy compared to others.
    The Transformer is a good tool for what it is made to do. Naturally the 5/8" cutter bar will not reach out over the tool rest like a bigger bar. It does a good job and is pretty smooth, I found mine got smoother as it was used. I also waxed the bar to help it slide better. Catches are very easy to come by with a hand held tool, my finger scars prove this, and are about non existent with this tool or any captured tool that I have used. I also find that the carbide cutter will last for a long time. You can use the bar out of the frame, just two set screws and the handle comes off to slide the bar out of the frame.

Last summer I acquired an oak burl that was a little too much for this tool and went ahead and got the Gizmo which is a great tool, well designed and a pleasure to use. Top of the line as far as fit and finish are concerned as well.

Also Tom is a great guy to deal with and a very knowledgeable turner. He really knows how to use his tools and can tell you how to best get started

The tool looks very nice but it can not reach out as far as most turners will want. So, why not go straight for the Monster Articulating Hollowing System. The Monster also has limitations but it is a fantastic system. Easy to use and you can even make your own special tool tips for your needs.
    Here is a tip holder (for a 3/16" sq metal lathe cutter) I made to reach right out under the shoulder of a 7" spalting Birch bowl with a wide lip.

Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Fabricius; 01-05-2015 at 5:10 PM.

Kevin: I've not had any issues with the bar binding in the tool rest. I did wax the tool rest. Also, I took a bit of time the first time out to make sure that the upper and lower bars of the tool rest were parallel. I don't have any other hollower to compare it too. I've used an articulated one and an arm brace type. There is no question that the articulated was nice to use than the transformer. There is also no question that it was more money than I had to put into a hollower. The transformer is very versatile, using links as it does. You can "bend" and shape it to pretty much any profile you want. I have a small cutter on mine - the one that Tom recommended. It hollows as quickly as I need it to.

Hayes: You cannot remove the tool from the tool rest without removing the handle. It's quick and easy to do. As for a laser, I made my own laser rig and it works well enough for me. Tom may offer one now. I'm not sure. He did not when I got mine.

Peter is right is saying the Monster is great. That's the articulated tool that I used. It was more than I thought that I needed for the work that I had in mind and it was more money than I had to put into a hollower. However, YMMV.

I also appreciated that Tom took quite a bit of time to answer my questions on this and on the vacuum adapter that he custom made for my Vega. He did not have the Gizmo available when I bought my transformer. It would have been very tempting.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Considr buying 8' of 1&1/8" round stock and giving a few bowls to a welder friend. The Jamison type is very easy to weld up.

I built my copy of the Jamieson hollowing rig with 3/4" stock. Lyle has DIY instructions on his website. With laser I have less than $100 invested. Works well.