Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Reality Show - Am I dreaming?

I'm watching the first show online right now. This scavaging from a boat yard to get material is hysterical but interesting. I'll probably watch it even though I know it is scripted and not even close to reality. I still find it entertaining.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I watched the first show, well, as much as I could. In the end, that thing made out of a rudder and a mirror I found every bit as bad as the two person rocking chair with the winches, the one that almost broke when the judges sat on it. The rudder-mirror was judged best in show. The guy who made it was the best at bravado and back-stabbing. Coincidence?

Based on the work they showed the contestants had done to qualify them for the show, the format did not allow them to display their talents. To me, that was disappointing. But there's so many of these beat-the-clock shows on TV, TV watching audiences must like it.

Ellen Degeneres Design Show

Ok, so I'm 4 episodes into Framework and am thoroughly disappointed. The only well-designed, well-manufactured stuff on there is the drama. If you watched that show you'd think furniture makers are insecure, critical people who hate everyone else's designs except their own. Even the judges are negative and overly critical.

Enter the Ellen Degeneres design show on HGTV. My WIFE started dvr'ing it (my wife who I don't think has ever set foot into my shop... just because it was Ellen.

That show is great on every level. The designs are great, functional, not just challenging for the sake of it, but with a view to making a piece that a customer with reasonable taste (Ellen) would actually want in her home.

The designers are from different backgrounds, specialize in different media, have different styles, but are darn friendly to each other. They compliment and help each other. My view of the maker community is skewed, but that show mirrors the community here. Each designer gets a 'carpenter' to help them make the stuff (all the designers are hands on too, so there's nothing high-falutin' about it). By and large all the teams work really well together. It's passionate people being passionate about their products - not winning the $100,000 and constantly declaring how they're better than everyone else.

Even if you discount the warm-fuzzies, the show is fun to watch. They're visible about the tools they're using. I know it's product placement, and all that is free advertising, but I don't see Ace Hardware tools all over the place. I see Jet and Festool. I seem them using the tools. I see them using CNC machines and welding, and so many cool things I'd love to try some day.

The judges give very good feedback. They don't have Common giving meaningless criticism just because he wrote the theme song. Ellen D is noticeably absent from the show. She videos herself in to announce the challenge, but doesn't judge. I'm left with the impression that she did this show out of a genuine love of furniture and wanting to give someone a good opportunity. I may be naive, but if the motives were otherwise, I think the show would have looked a lot more like the SpikeTV version.

The only downside is that there are only 7 contestants, so the series will end quickly.

Anyway, check it out.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-03-2015 at 10:50 AM.

I came across the Ellen show last night, much better than Framework (which I could only watch for about 5 minutes before being totally offended). I fully agree with Prashun's comments/observations.

Give it a try. The designer who was eliminated last night did not solve the for the given criteria and was judged as such. How refreshing.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 02-03-2015 at 7:09 PM.

I've got 2 on the dvr, so good to hear that it's good.

The drama on Framework is over the top, but my wife and are still watching it. Mainly to see whay Jory is working on.

And poor Jory. He just wants to make stuff - good stuff. And that punk just keeps trying to drag him into confrontations. I say move Jory to Ellen's show so he doesn't have to make Maloof ping pong tables and hammocks and can start making stuff that'll be used.

I gave Ellen's show a view last night. I see it as similar to the Framework show, just with less competitors. I like Frameworks personal edginess actually. Having fewer competitors gives Ellen's show (whats it called?) a bit more time to show them work although not much to see there but some of the results are very creative. Anyway - I do like both shows. Looking forward to more episodes of each one. Did anyone find it ironic that the show is about new designs and creativity yet Ellen comes in dressed like she's going to work at the supermarket or something?
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 02-10-2015 at 8:07 AM.

I was a die hard Junkyard Wars addict. I was rehabilitated as they moved from using science to make do with what you had (admittedly in a well stocked junkyard) and started adding the conflict and drama. Got to where I couldn't watch it anymore. I like the challenge of make do with a limited resource. Less impressed when it is a obscure requirement (Dinner for 4 using squirrels, barbie doll and a steam iron). The craft is not the focus of the show, merely a backdrop.
    Chuck

Anyone still watching?

Yes, but at 4x fast forward through all the BS....yields about 5 minutes of watching. I got 15 minutes of watchable time from Ellen's Design Challenge. EDC had more actual build and design focus and fewer snarky comments and backbiting. EDC did have a strange final episode but I won't spoil it for those who might wish to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    I was a die hard Junkyard Wars addict. I was rehabilitated as they moved from using science to make do with what you had (admittedly in a well stocked junkyard) and started adding the conflict and drama. Got to where I couldn't watch it anymore. I like the challenge of make do with a limited resource. Less impressed when it is a obscure requirement (Dinner for 4 using squirrels, barbie doll and a steam iron). The craft is not the focus of the show, merely a backdrop.
    Chuck
    That's how virtually all of these shows are. I used to love Junkyard Wars back in the day, until, as you say, the projects stopped being the reason for the show, just an excuse for the drama. The same used to be true of American Chopper, where the whole point was building custom motorcycles, until it became watching everyone yell at each other. That's why I just refuse to watch any so-called "reality" shows. If I want a woodworking show, give me something like New Yankee Workshop, not "will Norm beat the crap out of Bob Vila with a pipe clamp?"

I am with you ted. That final episode was so bizarre. Like "what just happened?" No explanation no nothing. And if I could sell a slab table for 30k as said by the wayfair person, I would quit my day job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    EDC did have a strange final episode but I won't spoil it for those who might wish to see it.
    Watched that last night... I was like "Did that really happen?" They gave us the 10,000' view, but I really wonder about the details (like what was said in defense). I saw some really interesting concepts/designs coming out of EDC. I'm looking forward to the next one, if they do it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Apparently, the EDC show was one of HGTV's best in terms of ratings. Some interesting aftermath:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...t-copy-design/

Season 2 of Ellen's Design Challenge is up and running!

They use some nice tools!

The funny thing is that they pair each designer up with a 'carpenter'. Hope those guys aren't offended!

I wish I had a plasma cutter. Mmmmmm....