Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Reality Show - Am I dreaming?

Woodworking Reality Show - Am I dreaming?

Have you guys heard about "Framework"?

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned it.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/ngp...e-on-january-6

Thanks for the heads up Prashun!

It sounds very similar to the Ink Master show on the same channel about tattooing.

Time to set up the DVR!

I will be watching it, but I still have an issue with the format of some of these shows. I hate the whole concept of the arbitrary clock. watching people rush and make mistakes (many safety related) makes no sense to me. Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right? I would be the guy who never finished a single project on the show, but I can assure you that what is done is done corectly and safely.

Blog Entries
    Maybe like Chopped on the Food Network? Or maybe, like the one SWMBO watches, Project Runway?
    That looks interesting. Oh well, just one more way to waste my time in front of the boob tube. (Which I will probably be doing!)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I read about this show in Woodshop News magazine. Sounds like a neat show for us wood butchers. Unfortunately for me, our local cable supplier eliminated Spike TV along with some other popular shows that were popular with viewers. Did not go over very well with a lot of subscribers, prompting many, including me, to consider dropping them in favor of satellite TV.
    Gotta love monopolies and the FCC.

Great!

Another program that makes people think I can build a table in 4 hours. From the viewpoint of a guy making a living at this stuff these shows do us no good. And reality? An ironic name for this kind of garbage.

There is a reason we don't have TV in our house any more.......

I wonder if they accept nominations from Creekers for competitors. There are many woodworkers in the Creek who can make superb products.

I don't see the harm. I'm a huge fan of Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. I love seeing how creative people can be with mid-process handicaps. I love seeing perfect furniture and have Fine Woodworking for that. But, I'm also often in the position of having to do the best with the tools, wood, or time I have. Designing within constraints just tickles my fancy.

I think the show will be wildly interesting...for us! I just can't see how anyone else outside of this community would appreciate it.

Some guys I know participated in a reality show that involved building things on a time deadline. They had five days to tape the entire show. One of the guys was seriously injured due to a weld that failed in the build. It is uncertain if the weld failed due to lack of time, or if the welder simply didn't have enough welding experience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    I will be watching it, but I still have an issue with the format of some of these shows. I hate the whole concept of the arbitrary clock. watching people rush and make mistakes (many safety related) makes no sense to me. Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right? I would be the guy who never finished a single project on the show, but I can assure you that what is done is done correctly and safely.
    Exactly what I was thinking watching the preview. It seems everything has to be in battle format - battle the clock, crush your competitors, be the meanest and baddest. To apply this to an art that requires precision, patience and skill...

I don't think that format is something I want to watch. Reminds me of when hgtv stopped running the fine gardening show Cathy
    Renwald had, and started contests to see who could "plant these azaleas the fastest".

I watched the preview and definitely won't be watching the show. Like most of that kind of show, there's a bunch of aggressive behavior, language, & competition that I don't find entertaining.

I doubt its going to be artwork like projects but I'd be willing to watch an episode or two. Note - the last show I watched on Spike TV was the Joe Schmo show. I am hoping they do a sequel to that one.

Wow - I watched the promo and I'm impressed. Thanks for the tip Prashun
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 01-05-2015 at 7:48 PM.

You know what strikes me as odd about many of these shows? (not that you asked) But,.. most of the US programming for television are plagiarized concepts from abroad. No idea if this is or not but when you watch the programs from abroad the "competitors" laugh, help each other, are amicable, they are somewhat concerned for each other. Then you bring the programming to the US and whether its our society or the producers, it becomes adversarial, confrontational, cut throat, every show must have a fixed dynamic of judges, the sympathetic and the the butt holes.

I cant say I wouldnt watch the show because anything furniture making or woodworking is absolutely amazing to see on TV but with only rabbit ears there is no option for me to watch such a thing which in all actuality is probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I don't see the harm. I'm a huge fan of Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen. I love seeing how creative people can be with mid-process handicaps. I love seeing perfect furniture and have Fine Woodworking for that. But, I'm also often in the position of having to do the best with the tools, wood, or time I have. Designing within constraints just tickles my fancy.

I think the show will be wildly interesting...for us! I just can't see how anyone else outside of this community would appreciate it.
    Thanks Prashun,
    I'm with you.
    I love watching anything about making things. Just to see others shops and how they work will be a treat.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford