Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Reality Show - Am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I cant say I wouldnt watch the show because anything furniture making or woodworking is absolutely amazing to see on TV but with only rabbit ears there is no option for me to watch such a thing which in all actuality is probably a good thing.
    Actually you will probably be able to watch the episodes on the Spike website a week or two after the TV viewing.

My anticipation of this is a mix of desire and dread. Some of the designs look interesting, hearing and seeing how they work through problems can be interesting, but the real and faux interpersonal drama is a major detraction. I don't mind that it's a competition (although the time limits seem absurd), but yea, I'd much rather see a friendly competition rather than the juvenile posturing and monumental egos.

Who knows, after more than 2 decades, they might have finally come up with a reality show I might watch.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    My anticipation of this is a mix of desire and dread. Some of the designs look interesting, hearing and seeing how they work through problems can be interesting, but the real and faux interpersonal drama is a major detraction. I don't mind that it's a competition (although the time limits seem absurd), but yea, I'd much rather see a friendly competition rather than the juvenile posturing and monumental egos.
    Yeah, this is how I feel. I'll probably watch the first one for the creative intrigue, but I absolutely hate stupid reality show formats so it better be really good to keep me coming back.

Blog Entries
    I went home yesterday all set to add it to the DVR, only to find out our new settop box is having a bad day... kept wanting to reset. Verizon guy isn't scheduled to come out until tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be missing the first show
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You people are crazy.

It's hockey season.
    Getcher priorities properly aligned.

The last thing I want to watch is other people working.
    The proper use of television is to eat, while
    watching other people exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The proper use of television is to eat, while
    watching other people exercise.
    LOL!

Dan - I think the show will be available to watch online as well, but maybe not right away. So you'll be able to watch it at some point I'm sure.

Looks as painful to watch as every other "reality?" show. Too many channels, too little talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    You know what strikes me as odd about many of these shows? (not that you asked) But,.. most of the US programming for television are plagiarized concepts from abroad.
    I just pray we don't ever steal Eurovision. Whenever one of my European friends starts blabbing on about culture, the mere mention of Eurovision pretty much shuts them up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I just pray we don't ever steal Eurovision. Whenever one of my European friends starts blabbing on about culture, the mere mention of Eurovision pretty much shuts them up.
    Yeah, not saying european programming is inherantly better or smarter. Its just a different mindset.

Why do they all it a reality show when every thing is scripted

Well I watched it last night, lets say I watched as much as I could before I just could not stand it anymore.

It is no different than a ton of the other shows, the smart guys and the dump ones and the fighting back and forth.

I will never watch it again, it just sucked IMHO.

I agree. I was foolishly hoping it would be more about the process and product and less about the personalities.

I haven't watched it yet, only the trailer, but I think there may have been some confusion that this is supposed to be a woodworking reality show.

It's not.

Its a furniture building reality competition show. They intentionally pick people who will be overly dramatic so they have some arguments and drama. They work with metal and wood and other materials to build all types of stuff. It's timed to level the field and for drama. Its the same concept as Ink Master. It's not going to be David Marks v Roy Underhill.

I'll probably watch it because I hope to see some level of woodworking and fabrication, my wife will watch it with me, and I might get some ideas for things to build.

Blog Entries
    I watched it too. It's just the same as all the other competition reality shows. From Hell's Kitchen to Project Runway, it's the same show, just different props. They find contestants that people will root for and ones that are so obnoxious that you want to watch in hopes they fail. This format is starting to get old. They are going to keep making these type of shows as long as we watch them.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-07-2015 at 8:59 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wow, that was an hour of my life I wont get back. Too bad really, When they showed some of their previous work it looked like some of them had some real talent. I was really hoping they would tap into that and show processes. Thinking back, can anyone name a time in the show (other than the welder) when someone was actually working on their project with a tool?