Thread: Need handle patterns, ideas

Need handle patterns, ideas

For an Ohio Tool Co. 22" long Jointah plane. Doubt if this
    IMAG0070.jpg
    Just won't do. It was sticking up a bit, hammer snugged it down to the body. Rest of this plane has been refurbbed back to making shavings
    IMAG0079.jpg
    Not too bad, for a jointer? But, that thing sticking up back there? need to find the correct style or pattern, to make something a little more.....presentable.
    Note: iron and chipbreaker are 2-3/8" wide. I can just barely make out a "Thistle" stamp above other markings on the iron, iron is also tapered.

A 22" try plane would have a closed tote. Here is a good description with a printable pdf template.

Thistle irons were made by Auburn tool co.
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 01-05-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Spellun'
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thank you, Sir! Print out was a might small, but can enlarge to suit. BTW, just how thick IS 27.5mm?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Thank you, Sir! Print out was a might small, but can enlarge to suit. BTW, just how thick IS 27.5mm?
    You're welcome. I think if you uncheck the box in your printer window that says "scale to fit" it will print full size.

1mm = .03937", so 27.5 mm = 1.083." But check the mortise in your plane. The broken-off piece was probably glued in with hide glue, so some steam will help you pull it out. Clean it out and it can be used as-is. My guess is that your mortise is right at 1".
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I'm leaning toward lower handles, more like 'saddles' for longer planes.

I want to keep weight near the iron, lest I round off both ends of longer edges.

Handplane saddle.jpg

There used to be a guy who posted a lot around here. He recently made his own wooden body jointer plane. You could get an idea from his threads.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 01-06-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Removed individual name

Might have a pattern after all
    Ohio #81.jpg
    Ohio Tool Co. #81 Might be close enough to what I need. Just have to scrounge some 5/4 beech....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might have a pattern after all
    Ohio #81.jpg
    Ohio Tool Co. #81 Might be close enough to what I need. Just have to scrounge some 5/4 beech....
    Keep us posted, glad to see this bad boy come back to life!