Thread: A busy couple of days

Blog Entries

A busy couple of days

I am pretty good about finishing up projects before starting another. Sometimes that doesn't work so well

So before New Year's, I ordered some binding for a guitar I was making. it was to be delivered on January second. So having some time, I buckled down and built a couple of shop storage boxes that would stack on top of each other. I used left over odds and ends from other projects (African Mahogany and European Beech). One would hold my sharpening stones and accessories. The other would house my inlay tools. So, I knocked them together so they would stack and interlock. Wednesday the 31st of December, the binding came early. So, I got the boxes to a good stopping spot and went back to the guitar.

I routed the binding ledge and glued up the binding on the back. I planned on double binding (front and back). Fitting binding by yourself is a bit frustrating.

Guitar Binding rout.jpgGuitar Binding Tape.jpg

It cures overnight before scraping and doing the front binding.

Guitar Back.jpgAttachment 303477Guitar binding.jpg

Above, the guitar with a little MS on it to represent the finish color if undyed. So, a couple of days would be used waiting for the binding glue to fully cure before it can be scraped. So LOML says, "since you gave me the nice hydraulic press, I need a stand to put it on." So my plan was to knock out a table in one Saturday. From raw stock to fully assembled took a day. Tapered legs. arched aprons, mortise and tenon construction. I cheated and used plywood for the top and shelf. By the way, It was another example why I hate plywood...

Boxes behind glue-up.jpgTable no paint.jpg

You can see the storage boxes peeking out from behind the leg glue-up. The table material would be Red Oak as it would be painted with Milk Paint. Sunday, the Table got 2 coats of the milk paint and Ren Wax on the top. Back to the guitar! My next decision is what color to stain / dye the Ash back. The Spalted maple top will get BLO or Tung oil, shellac to seal and then Nitro Lacquer. I think the neck and spalted maple go well together. Time to go back to work...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

My, my, you have been busy and such beautiful work in the process.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

What did you do after lunch???
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I don't think my wife would have reacted well had I ever given her a hydraulic press. That must be some woman you have, Shawn.

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks John. She is pretty cool. Getting tools isgenerally not much of a problem. Though she has taken all of my files. She'd take my anvil too if it wasn't so heavy.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Blog Entries
    Here is the picture of the press on the table.

image.jpg

The press is made of 1/2" thick steel stock and bolstered by 1/2" bar stock either side at the top. The jack is a short travel 20 ton hydraulic press. Alignment is critical and the Mfr uses a simple but effective method.

image.jpg

Here is the first pressing. LOML embossed a salvaged piece of copper with a texture. The sheet was then put in the press and given a dished shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shawn

It looks great. It's pretty neat. Did you band saw the body?