Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna driftmaster fence

Laguna driftmaster fence

I am considering buying this fence for my Laguna 14SUV bandsaw. Anyone have this fence and have thoughts that may help me make the decision? I am a serious hobbyist and resaw now to a line. I want to up my game and am considering this.

Its super sweet once installed. Easy to adjust to any blade. I love the high low design of teh fence - in fact I want the taller add on for mine. Cons - Not easy to remove. Install is trivial but your 14 might be ready for it.

I added mine to a MM20.

I would not pass on other tool wants for it if you dont have your bases covered as it is a very luxary add on. If you are good like that (already own a router lift for example lol) go for it.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I am in full realization that this is only my opinion and that there are others who feel strongly another way. I have always been able to adjust my saws so that they track true; 10", 12", multiple 14" and 17" saws. This setting holds with blade changes and I change blade sizes with impunity. I would investigate what is causing your tracking problem before I threw money at a cure for the symptoms as opposed to the cause. I should add that I do not run carbide tooth blades and I understand that the tension requirements for these (and bi-metals, etc.) are higher. This may lead to the tracking issues but, this is pure supposition on my part and I apologize in advance if I am talking through my hat .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm with Glenn, you don't adjust the fence for tracking, you use the tracking adjustent on the saw for that.

I'm not sure where the idea of adjusting the guide ( fence) came from, as now your mitre gauge would be screwed up.

Could you imagine moving the log carriage tracks back and forth in a sawmill everytime you changed the blade?

Regards, Rod.

While the Driftmaster is marketed to handle misalignment,
    I'm with the Big Dogs above, it's more about the set up of
    the blade than the fence.

That said, I find that resawing with the Driftmaster is a breeze,
    particularly with the larger auxiliary fence.

I use an alternate method, keeping the one reference face and edge
    against the fence and table - advancing the fence a given thickness after each cut.

I have a Rockler 'thin rip' jig set up to make sure I get to the same set up point
    each time.

Each turn of the screw advances the fence a heavy 1/64" - if I recall.
    I don't use it that way - I just release the thread locking pawl
    and slide the works over until it touches the thin rip jig.

I like mine, but I'm not convinced it's the last word in resawing fences.
    It was less money than making something for myself.

Convenience is worth something, to me.

I bought this for my Jet 18" bandsaw and did a thread here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tmaster-Thread

Since then I will add that I have rarely used the "drift" feature of the fence system. I love the fences, I have the tall fence too. But I bought the system because I had a lot of resawing to do and thought drift may be a problem with my bandsaw. It wasn't.

Once everything was set up, I set the bandsaw as perfect as I could and bought a Lenox carbide blade designed for the lumber dimensions and wood I would be cutting and never used the drift feature.

The adjustment handles are a bit awkward too. There are so many, I have to look at which one I need to adjust before I do. But if they have redesigned the system since I bought mine, this may not be an issue.

All in all, I've done a lot of resawing with this fence and it works, but I think most of that was my anal approach and not the fence system.

I purchased the driftmaster when i got my LT16HD. I also git the taller resaw fence. It's a very nice setup and performs as advertised. However, if I had it to do over again I would retain the OEM fence and keep my cash. It's nice, but certainly nit essential to good results. The Laguna saw when oroperly setup with a good blade cuts dead true.

Never used one, so can't speak to it firsthand, but a good number of my customers told me they have added it to their MM16's and MM20's and speak highly of it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I put one on my 36" Oliver when they first came out. Agree with the "forget about the drift" guys. I bought it because it was a nice fence, not for the drift adjustment, and I'd do it again.

Joe, I have a Jet 14" and I have never had a problem with drift as been stated above it is all in the set up.

I don't know if your saw has crowned wheels or not but I do think that crowned wheels make a big difference.

I have drift problems when I get to wider boards. I quit using the fence I have and have started drawing a line and cutting to that. I have the 1" blade that came with the Laguna saw. I like the saw, but am inexperienced with resawing.

I have the driftmaster on my 18 inch Laguna saw. This saw replaced a 14 inch delta with a riser block that I had for 25 years and used extensively to cut out decoy and other carving blanks. The saw was great for this but could never get a satisfactory resaw operation with it tried numerous articles different blades etc but even or six inch thick wood was a problem. Bought the Laguna from a Creeker several years ago and it came with the Driftmaster and several high quality resaw blades. The beast is a dream for resawing. I agree with Julie about the fence there are many adjustments and several times I have loosened the wrong knob when I am in a hurry. The saw tracks beautifully I don't think I really utilize the "tracking" features of the fence but thickness adjustment is very simple and easy. The table is big enough that I can usually slide it all the way to the side instead of having to remove it. As to the value vs cost it was part of the package and also came with both high and regular fence, so I don't know how much it costs separately but I am very happy and totally pleased with the saw and fence.

Blade drift...guiide bearings or fence issue?

Mine was attached to a Rikon, I believe 18-20". In my naivete, I thought that the guide bearings were to, well, keep the blade from wandering too much.

So, I was doing some veneering @ the time, and got the Driftmaster. I would saw a 4-5 inches of wood, eyeball the blade in the kerf, adjust the fence; and got A-1 results with the Driftmaster.

Now, with my MM-16, I have not resawed anything tall enough to matter, but I still eyeball the kerf with the blade in some scrap @ the end of a sample cut beforehand sometimes. Some day I will get around to installing the Driftmaster on the MM-16.

Now, you all say that the guide bearings ought to be adjusted to keep the saw blade perfectly parallel to the long axis of the cut, to avoid ripples?

Wouldn't that require both the top and bottom guide bearings to keep the blade right?

Aren't we supposed to leave the thickness of a dollar bill clearance b/t the blade and bearings?

I don't understand. All this time, I thought just making a 3-4" kerf in a scrap, stop the blade in the kerf, go around to the back and adjust the fence so the blade is exactly parallel in the sawed kerf. Have I been doing it wrong all this time.

The MM-16 is a great piece of equipment-but you put a blade on it (I have a Resaw King 1.25" on it), and then you use the guide bearings to nudge/hold the blade exact?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

David,
    I am a little late to this thread, but there are a couple of things you mention that I think should be addressed.
    First, the MM16 is not designed to handle a 1.25 carbide blade. It will not allow you to get enough tension to properly run that wide a blade.
    Second, the MM16 when properly setup with lots of tension and the right blade does not drift. To quote one of the earlier responders, "I'm with the Big Dogs above, it's more about the set up of the blade than the fence." I have a Lennox 3/4" blade on my MM16; there is NO DRIFT. The blade guides will not prevent drift, either. Check with the folks at MiniMax. They will help you get the right setup and the right blade for resawing on your MM16. Erik Loza, who posted to this thread earlier, is a great guy and very helpful. Send him a note.
    I am not an expert on bandsaws or resawing, but I have a MM16 and successfully resaw without drift. The Driftmaster is a useful tool, but as many in this thread have already stated, the drift correction is the least important feature because it is rarely used.
    HTH,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I put one on my 36" Oliver when they first came out. Agree with the "forget about the drift" guys. I bought it because it was a nice fence, not for the drift adjustment, and I'd do it again.
    Exactly.

That said, I've got a 14SUV and it was included as a bonus when I bought the saw--not sure I would have spend that much otherwise. I will tell you that the fence is not ideal for the 14SUV, however--it is a PITA to install on a smaller BS and it doesn't hang quite right. If I can remember, I'll try to take a video of what I'm talking about and email it to you if you PM me with your email address.