Thread: Difference between 1/4 sheet sander and orbital sander.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Difference between 1/4 sheet sander and orbital sander.

I hope I don't appear to ignorant but I had my eyes opened the other day and now I'm wondering what else I might be missing.

About 20 years ago I bought a PC 330 1/4 sander. At the time I think it was considered the industry standard. I loved it. However last year Dewalt was selling there mitre saws with a free sander. I got the saw and put the sander in the my drawer. Last week my daughter wanted to refinish something and she brought it to me. I handed her the PC330 and told her to start sanding the finish. After a period of time I thought about the Dewalt sander so I got it out and began using it. I was surprised. It worked really nice, and the dust collection was impressive. I began to wonder what other new technology I might be missing.

Now my question I see these new palm size random orbital sanders with circular disks and I wondering if they have anything over the 1/4 sanders I already have? I think the 1/4 sheet sanders are orbital but I don't know if they are random orbital and what difference does that make in finishing?

Also I might add I have a 15 year or so old PC7334 orbital sander that is built like a side grinder. I use it in place of a belt sander but if you pick it up off the wood the disk starts to spin like a circular sander and will gouge wood when you put it back down on the wood. Like I said excellent for rapid removal of wood but very dangerous for finish work. Has this problem been overcome in the new palm size random orbital sanders?

Thanks for any insight
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-23-2005 at 10:36 AM.
    Ed