Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extinct breafast cereals

Extinct breafast cereals

What breakfast cereals of the past have gone extinct?

Browsing the beakfast cereal aisle at a local store, I saw many familiar products. Only a few I remember from childhood were missing. I recall a honey coated cereal that was shaped like small 'puffs", smaller that "Puffed Rice". I didn't see it, but perhaps they've just changed it's shape. I recall "Alphabits". I think I've seen them for sale recently, but there were not on this aisle.

Waffalos, Count Chocula. Oh how I miss Count Choculo. Don't talk to me about the reissue version that they do from time to time. The marshmallows are completely different. They're big and huge, and not as dense. Completely ruined it. Bah.

I recall Quisp and Quake. Two variations of a the same cereal, Quake had sort of a maple flavor. Quisp had a cute space alien as their character, Quake had a guy that looked like a miner or something.
    I think Quisp may still sold in some areas of the country, but Quake is long gone.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen Ruskets on a grocery store shelf for as long as I can recall. I miss this American version of Weet-a-bix (or Weet-bix).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't do cereal so I'm not sure whats off the market but I know they've kept many of the early ones. As a kid, in the stoneage, I used to like Shredded Wheat. Not the mini frosted things that they sell now but large (2 to a bowl) balls of twine with no sugars or flavoring.
    Stephen mentioned Puffed Rice and they still sell Puffed Wheat but does anyone remember Quaker Puffed Oats?
    Some cereals seem to stay forever. Post grape-nuts have been around for over 120 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Browne View Post
    Post grape-nuts have been around for over 120 years.
    I've had Grape Nuts, and I'm not at all surprised that they were 120 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I've had Grape Nuts, and I'm not at all surprised that they were 120 years old.
    LOL! I like them, but you may be right!

What I noted was the "updating" of the names. "Sugar Smacks" still exist, but now they are "Honey Smacks." What I ate as "Sugar Frosted Flakes" have now just become "Frosted Flakes." Apparently putting sugar in the cereal is still OK, but putting it in the title is unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo View Post
    I recall Quisp and Quake. Two variations of a the same cereal, Quake had sort of a maple flavor. Quisp had a cute space alien as their character, Quake had a guy that looked like a miner or something.
    I think Quisp may still sold in some areas of the country, but Quake is long gone.
    Thanks for the memory - I used to love Quake cereal. I recall that Capn Crunch had a similar flavor back in the day but it got changed back in the 80's.

Blog Entries
    Instant Ralston? A heartier version of Cream of Wheat. If you had to work outside in a cold midwestern winter, it was a good foundation.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

That's what I was going to say. I wish they still sold it. Not the instant but the boxed version.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Instant Ralston? A heartier version of Cream of Wheat. If you had to work outside in a cold midwestern winter, it was a good foundation.

Quisp and Quake were my favorites as a kid. Cap'n Crunch was also big at our house. I don't eat much cereal nowadays but when I do it's mostly Special K, Grape Nuts, and Rice Chex.

Booberry and Frankenberry bring back fond memories. But if I had them today, I'd probably gag.

I reccommend "The Road to Wellville" film to cereal fans. Good scene with John Cusack and Matthew Broderick doing some
    design work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Waffalos, Count Chocula. Oh how I miss Count Choculo. Don't talk to me about the reissue version that they do from time to time. The marshmallows are completely different. They're big and huge, and not as dense. Completely ruined it. Bah.
    I was also a fan of Count Chocula. I saw this article a while back that indicates they bring it back around Halloween on a limited basis. But it sounds like there's a brewery in Colorado that buys up all of the available local stock and uses it as a basis for their beer!

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...e_brewery.html

Charlie