Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extinct breafast cereals

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    What I noted was the "updating" of the names. "Sugar Smacks" still exist, but now they are "Honey Smacks." What I ate as "Sugar Frosted Flakes" have now just become "Frosted Flakes." Apparently putting sugar in the cereal is still OK, but putting it in the title is unhealthy.

It could be a situation of false, or misleading labeling.

I can't eat cereals like that any longer. I also can't eat donuts or most mass produced grocery store level bakery products either, because the "sugar" has been replaced with HFCS.
    They can call it any number of trade names they like, but sugar from corn isn't the same thing as sugar from sugar cane. Real sugar I can handle 24/7 with no issues. HFCS just flat out whacks the crud out of me. I really miss drinking root beer too.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    That's what I was going to say. I wish they still sold it. Not the instant but the boxed version.
    Here you go-- http://www.hotralston.com/howtoorder.htm

Wow! Thanks, I'll be ordering some. Wonder if I'll still like it.

(Sugar) Jets were my favorite.
    I remember when they came out in the late 1950's and when they went away in the mid 1970's.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    (Sugar) Jets were my favorite.
    I remember when they came out in the late 1950's and when they went away in the mid 1970's.
    I was going to add Jets as well, but you beat me to it. Best cereal ever. Sort of shaped like Kix, but IIRQ, it had oats as well as corn and was frosted.

I miss Oatios they discontinued them about 3 years ago. Great 100% oat cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I've had Grape Nuts, and I'm not at all surprised that they were 120 years old.

I though Euell Gibbons invented them... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJMIu18I8Y
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Cool! I'll get some.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I haven't seen Ruskets on a grocery store shelf for as long as I can recall. I miss this American version of Weet-a-bix (or Weet-bix).
    I saw a box marked "Weetabix" somewhere recently, but it wasn't in the (USA) cereal ailse. Is there a cracker by that name?

Waffalos, Count Chocula. Oh how I miss Count Choculo. Don't talk to me about the reissue version that they do from time to time. The marshmallows are completely different. They're big and huge, and not as dense. Completely ruined it. Bah.
    John - you never disappoint, nor cease to amaze, at the breadth and depth of your detailed knowledge and expertise.

Keep up the good work !!

Regards,

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent, now that I have kids, I have a keen interest in remember all this useless trivia for when I have to give them the "back in my day" speech. They've already gotten the, "Keep it up and you can forget about daddy ever getting you a car" speech, and if they keep it up they'll be riding their bikes to the bingo hall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    What I noted was the "updating" of the names. "Sugar Smacks" still exist, but now they are "Honey Smacks." What I ate as "Sugar Frosted Flakes" have now just become "Frosted Flakes." Apparently putting sugar in the cereal is still OK, but putting it in the title is unhealthy.
    I also notice that "Mr. Salty" pretzels and "Aydes" diet candies didn't appear with those names for a bit before they disappeared. Its kinda like opening a "Fat Burger" in southern California; the name is gonna kill sales.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

rat (fat?) hole

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ... Its kinda like opening a "Fat Burger" in southern California; the name is gonna kill sales.
    uhm, there are quite a few in the greater Hollywood area ... and they seemed to be doing a bang up business last time i looked.

okay hands up all you guys (like me) who had all the ditty's from your childhood TV commercials going through your head while reading this thread...

"can't get enough of those sugarrrr, crisps" (hated that cereal)
    "It's Not About You."

Kent, now that I have kids, I have a keen interest in remember all this useless trivia for when I have to give them the "back in my day" speech. They've already gotten the, "Keep it up and you can forget about daddy ever getting you a car" speech, and if they keep it up they'll be riding their bikes to the bingo hall.

That'll make a big change in behaviour. Assuming kids today are nothing like me in my day, because that only encouraged my black-sheep test-the-boundaries rebellion-flag-flying persona.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.