Thread: Brass gauge setup blocks?

Brass gauge setup blocks?

Looking for a set of brass gauge setup blocks that start at 1/16" & up, all the ones I find start at 1/8" and up. If I could find a 1/16" I could add it to the sets I found. Anyone know where I can find such a animal?

Lee Valley has them in anodized aluminum.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I did not see 1/16" but will go look again, thanks for the tip.

Lee Valley's standard set starts at 1/16", then goes to 1/8" and then to 1/4". If you want ones in-between you can go with their 1/16" and 1/32"-based expansion sets.

Note: You should probably post questions like this in the General Woodworking forum and not in Forum Tech Support.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post

Note: You should probably post questions like this in the General Woodworking forum and not in Forum Tech Support.
    LOL, I didn't catch that but Steve is right. I moved this to the GW&PT forum.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A 1/16" drill bit should work fine.

A 1/16" drill bit should work fine.
    Two work better. W/one, the blocks stacked on top to make the in between sizes, can rock back and forth.
    (I use the el cheapo Harbor Freight bits. 10 for $.99 on sale. Can't beat the price with a stick)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Credit Card thickness and 'cards' of this type tend to be dead nuts on at 1/32".
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I bought two sets from 1/16-1/2". At first I just bought one, but it was hard to hold everything. With two I could lay a rule across the two sets and watch for it to lift. They were cheap.

I now use a height gauge but on occasion the blocks still come in handy.

Credit cards that meet the relevant ISO spec are supposed to be 0.030 inches; slightly thinner than 1/32"... not that it might matter.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

My luck, MLCS called this morning and said the brass set I ordered has been discontinued. So I ordered the Veritas set of 2" long starting at 1/16", guess they will have to do.
    Larry which set do you have??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Credit Card thickness and 'cards' of this type tend to be dead nuts on at 1/32".
    I have a collection of a few that mic at 1/32" and have them added to my setup blocks. I do have the short Le Valley set so that takes care of the 1/16" most of the time. If i need more length to span an opening I stack a couple of my 'custom cut' credit card strips. Setup blocks have become an integral part of how I do things. The 4" Whiteside sets are inexpensive enough that I have them at the router table, drill press and the bench.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Duckin' and runnin'.