Thread: Delta 46-460 help

Delta 46-460 help

My Delta 46-460 just stopped running. I've checked to make sure there is power and I've pushed the little reset button on the back but nothing I've done seems to solve the problem. I don't want to take the cover off until I hear there is nothing else I could do. Besides, if it's the circuit board I doubt I'll ever get a new one from Delta.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

Have you blown out the on/off switch with compressed air? Always the first thing to check when lathes don't start!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Have you blown out the on/off switch with compressed air? Always the first thing to check when lathes don't start!
    Steve;
    I don't have a compressor but I do vacuum out the switch every time I clean up and shut down for the night. I went out and did it again just now but no luck.

Jim

I have that lathe, take the cover off the top and blow it out, find someone with a portable air tank and blow it out. My guess from experience is that is the problem
    Wally

I also have that lathe and second the recommendation to take the cover off and blow it out. Shortly after I bought it I had a problem that turned out to be the variable resistor in the speed control knob. Delta sent me a new circuit board. I later tested the board and learned that the only thing wrong was that resistor. Readily available at radio shack.

You could get a can of compressed air from any office supply store. That may do it.

Red
    RED

Thanks guys. I will try blowing it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim

I blew out the switch - no go - so I took off the back plate and blew that out - still no go-. Called Delta technical support and they said to check the continuity of the switch. I will do that and let you guys know

Any other suggestions?

Jim

I checked the continuity of the power switch and one side of the double pole single throw switch did not short. So the switch appears to be bad but when I looked on the Delta Parts list they call it a "controller box" and want $434.71 for it. That's almost half of what I paid for the entire lathe.
    I've called an authorized repair shop and they said that's the price for the entire assembly and they will see if they can get the switch alone.
    More to come.

Jim

Jim, definitely feel for you. I have the same lathe, and wouldn't be surprised to be in same boat someday. I've not taken apart the internals of my switch yet, but I have on the remote switch for my PM3520, as it is prone to quit working when dust accumulates inside. Switches are simple devices, and typically just need a good cleaning to get going again. The trick is in being able to safely take it apart and get it back together. Does it look like it's able to be disassembled enough to consider that? Just be sure to get a pick when you do get it open to keep track of any small pieces of copper or springs that may be in there. Keep us posted on progress.
    Oh, I think I recall seeing that same "controller box" thing, it's gotta be a typo unless they have no option to replace the switch alone which seemed to have become obsolete a couple years ago. Hopefully, you're still under warranty. I think they had 5 year on them.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Jim, definitely feel for you. I have the same lathe, and wouldn't be surprised to be in same boat someday. I've not taken apart the internals of my switch yet, but I have on the remote switch for my PM3520, as it is prone to quit working when dust accumulates inside. Switches are simple devices, and typically just need a good cleaning to get going again. The trick is in being able to safely take it apart and get it back together. Does it look like it's able to be disassembled enough to consider that? Just be sure to get a pick when you do get it open to keep track of any small pieces of copper or springs that may be in there. Keep us posted on progress.
    Oh, I think I recall seeing that same "controller box" thing, it's gotta be a typo unless they have no option to replace the switch alone which seemed to have become obsolete a couple years ago. Hopefully, you're still under warranty. I think they had 5 year on them.
    Tim;
    You're right about the switch being obsoleted, but they can sell me one that would work if I cut a V in it to make it fit. No guarantee. The warranty is only good for one year. I couldn't get to the switch so I took it in to be repaired.

Jim