Thread: VLS30 loss of power

VLS30 loss of power

Hi,
    Happy New Year to you.

I hope someone is able to help and give advice.

We have a VLS30 which has not had much use at all since we had it 7 years ago.

The problem is that it is losing power to the extent that it now doesn't even cut paper.

We have been advise to check optics, alignment etc which we have done and all seems OK.

I just wanted to ask whether it is most likely something that could be sorted with a proper service or whether it is more likely that we need a new laser tube?

As it gets so little use, if we need a new laser then we would probably try to sell the machine, but I don't want to do that if there is an easier fix.

Thanks

Bev
    Last edited by Bev Wales; 01-08-2015 at 6:15 AM.

Bev

It's a pretty good bet that the tube is the issue. You can call ULS tech support and get a power meter to verify the output of the tube.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Like Mike, my guess would be the tube. I saw a chart years ago (and still have it somewhere on a computer around here) that showed the average life span of a tube. After 6 years, the curve turned south really quickly. If you're at 7 years, it's probably gone, but it's worth calling ULS to double check.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.