Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Space Heater for Wood Shop

Space Heater for Wood Shop

The temp in my basement shop is 64 degrees, it is comfortable for working since I am moving around. I am thinking that since I have to do my finishing in that same space and ideal drying temperature is mid 70's perhaps a space heater would be a good addition.

I am concerned about the combustibility of the saw dust that is generated. My thinking is that an oil filled or infrared may be a safe type of heater.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've been using a Lasko ceramic heater in my insulated bow roof shed/workshop for several years. Safe and no issues.

I have been using a Holmes quartz tube infrared tube heater with a fan inside for several years in my shop. Its 110V, easy to put where i need it and it does a great job of taking the chill out of the air. It stopped working this year so I took it apart and it was full of sawdust. The saw dust, very fine like flour, was everywhere inside and it got into the internal temperature switch and caused it to not close and therefore not work. Anyway, message is, be sure to vacuum out the sawdust from these types of heaters because it can accumulate and who knows what can go wrong. I'm happy it failed the way it did and not by starting a fire.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 01-08-2015 at 1:13 PM. Reason: added info about fan

I'd stay away from any heater that has a red hot filament...seems to be asking for trouble. On the coldest of days I've used an oil filled DeLonghi in my shop. Much safer in that environment IMO.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

You wont have any combustibility issues with regards to sawdust if your talking in terms of an explosion. The concentration of sawdust in the air would be so high that you wouldnt be able to breathe or function in there without a respirator and goggles. But the open flame thing with finishes is a bit of an issue not for combustion but just because it seems the vapors from many finishes (even waterborne) seem to settle on heaters/elements and then when they kick on they can be a bit noxious for several hours or even days. Its common around here for people to have unvented wall heaters in their homes for heat or supplemental heat and it happens all the time that you go in and do some painting, or stain and finish some trim, and the instant that heater comes on there is the tell tale stink.

I burn a woodstove in my shop constantly. You can get much more open flame than that.

IMO any heater with a blower on it is a plus.

I have a 400kbtu propane heater in my shop. It has a 12" (about) fan that comes on after it gets fired up. Does a great job in the shop. Every now and then I blow off the heat exchanger tubes. Have had no issues with fumes. I did put a thermostat on it, and when I'm in the shop I set it to 60, and it takes about 35-40 minutes (depending upon outside temp) to get the temp up. Could not be happier with the setup... Got it thru amazon.... I do have a good dust pickup system, so air-born sawdust is at a minimum.
    Henri
    Last edited by Henri Monnier; 01-08-2015 at 2:25 PM. Reason: spelling.....

I have an oil-filled radiator in my basement shop. The lowest setting will keep the shop at 66-67 and can warm it up to uncomfortably warm if I want. Safe, quiet, and economical for my 500 square foot space.

I have a 5kw space heater, the elements glow red hot on full blast, it's a 3ph driven heater. I use it sparingly, a bit afraid of the fire risk but I don't run it red hot. As long as I am a few degrees above freezing temp I am comfortable.

I'd be more concerned with fumes from finishes more than sawdust. Especially if you should spray a oil based finish. When I worked in a cabinet shop, they had overhead gas heaters, and we would take an air hose, and blow an amazing amount of fine dust out of the heaters, and I was amazed that there was no problem with fire in those heaters. The directions on the old adhesive cans for laminate was to shut off the pilot lights on all heaters, water heaters etc., so that stuff CAN flash.

My concern would be mistakingly leaving the heater on all night and risking a fire from accumulated dust....particularly in colder climates where the heater could run on high over a long period o'nite.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Its not a blanket statement by any means and surely not one that would set an insurance agent/adjuster at ease, but sawdust, or in the case of this thread "dust", is not easily combustible. The combustion threshold is way beyond any point where a human could be obliviously working. You would be choking and struggling to catch a breath in an environment with enough airborne dust to cause a problem.

Shop was 8F this morning. 40x80x16. 30 minutes with a 150k BTU propane and it was a toasty 35F (I use a box fan to circulate the air). We worked all day in it. My helper usually wears shorts, but actually had on pants today. Go figure.

To answer your question: unless you're letting saw dust build up around the heater/element, you shouldn't have a problem. Don't run a space heater if you're not in the shop.
    -Lud

http://www.infraredinfo.com/Article_1.html

I would consider 64 degrees adequate for applying
    most finishes but don't recommend doing it indoors.

Some of today's finishes really stink as they cure,
    and that smell can linger for months.

[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;Some of today's finishes really stink as they cure,
    and that smell can linger for months.[/QUOTE]

I have been applying solvent based poly, brush on and wipe on in my basement shop, with no smell issues at all.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.