Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Regret Wood Over Concrete Floor?

Anyone Regret Wood Over Concrete Floor?

I'm am still having a very hard time wrapping my head around how a wood floor installed directly on a concrete slab is really going to be any more forgiving to my body than plain concrete. I have read every thread I could find on this subject and the responses seem to break down into 2 groups--those who love their wood floor laid over concrete, and those who are of the opinion that there is no real advantage to it (other than protecting a dropped chisel blade).

So this question is aimed at those who have actually gone from working on plain concrete, to working on one of the variations of rigid foam, with or without sleepers, topped with plywood, AdvanTech, OSB, hardwood, whatever:

Did it really make a difference in how your body feels after a day in the shop?

I'm thinking a wood floor is very desirable, but in order for it to really be kinder to my body than concrete, it needs to have some give, as in a conventional flooring system built of floor joists and sub flooring topped with hardwood, vinyl, whatever. I know putting a floor like that in my barn will require a crawl space, with all the challenges of ventilating and keeping vermin out. Even so, I have to wonder if that type of flooring system might be cheaper and more effective than floating floor over concrete slab.

Maybe the whole floating foam/wood floor over concrete only makes sense if you already have a slab in place, but doesn't make sense if you are starting out with no slab?

Thanks for any advice--and my apologies if I am beginning to sound like a broken record. The way I see it, I have one chance to build my dream shop right--I really don't want to have to live with any expensive mistakes. Thanks for your understanding!

Karl

If softness is an issue, you can install a commercial subfloor like Dricore or Subfloor. You'll sacrifice minimal height and will improve the feel.

As for your body, the biggest bang for your buck will be using anti-fatigue mats near your workstations. We do that in my chemical plant (largely concrete, but a-fat mats in certain areas) and it works great.

That and proper shoes...

There are a pile of studies on the workplace and impacts of standing on hard surfaces, Google away. A quality shoe insert was also ranked highly for effectiveness.

It's up to you if you want a wood floor or concrete, pros and cons in each corner.

If you are conditioning the space you'll need the insulation under or over it depending on your choice.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 01-08-2015 at 8:31 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Karl, I'll weigh in even though you directed your request to those who have wood floors. After considering wood over concrete I opted to stay with the concrete floor and I feel it has worked as I had hoped. Most all of my machines are on wheels and I make extensive use of rolling work surfaces and tool and storage carts. The concrete floor helps to make things move smoothly and reasonably effortlessly. I wear comfortable, supportive shoes with inserts, as James suggests. I haven't felt the need for anti-fatigue mats as they to hinder machine and cart movement.

I went from a basement shop on a concrete floor to a converted dirt floor barn where I poured a slab over rigid foam insulation, put down sleepers (2x4s on their sides, 16" OC), 3/4" plywood subfloor, then "mixed domestic hardwood" site finished flooring, finished with Bona Traffic HD. I enjoy having a wood floor every day and would hate going back to concrete. It seems easier on the feet, it's definitely warmer at this time of year, and its clearly easier on the eyes and dropped tools. Before I had anti-fatigue mats everywhere, now I don't seem to need them. It may all be psychological, but it's an investment in work and a few $$ that I would make again without a second thought. It makes the shop a very welcoming space.

It was also nice to be able to run power under the floor, I did not have enough overhead clearance to elevate the floor to be able to get the dust collection installed there as well.

Some of my tools are also on mobile bases and they roll across the floor perfectly well.

Would you rather be hit over the head with a 2x4 or a chunk of concrete?
    IMO theres no discernible difference in the way either material affects your head or your feet.

I would put all the stationary tools on the concrete floor and then install movable rubberized flooring( The kind of stuff they use in gyms and spas.) under the bench and other work areas.

Karl, you didn't post your age, but for me, I've been considering laying a wood floor over my concrete slab. I put on an addition last year, and laid wood flooring in it, and it is easier to stand and walk on for me. I have a bunch of foam pads from Harbor freight, and they are fine, but would like to make paths around the shop to walk on, if I don't get around to building a wood floor. When I was younger, would not have considered wood, but now I am retirement age, my legs, knees, ankles and feet like wood better.

20 + years ago I put some 1x sleepers over my concrete floor added a 1/2" of foil faced insulation between the sleepers and nailed a 3/4" t&g plywood overall. Painted and urethaned over the years and still serves me well. Not hard on the legs and importantly if you drop a tool or a board or a piece of your work the damage is minimal at worst. I dropped a block plane on a concrete floor once and the casting snapped - never settled for a concrete wood shop floor since. No regrets. If I could have afforded it at the time I would have laid a 1" or 5/4" T&G wood floor rather than the ply. It helps to know where your really heavy stationary equipment will sit so that you can add an extra sleeper or 2 to stiffen the plywood floor as needed but otherwise a simple 2' spacing is more than adequate.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use 5/8 to 3/4" black horse mats made from recycled rubber tires most sizes are 4'x6'. Works great and they are tough. I have these in front of my work areas. Some I double up. Material cuts easy with a straight edge and a utility knife. You will also find them in use at athletic clubs.

I have only regretted having a wood floor in my basement shop one night at 3:15 AM when the new superstor blew it's top on the other side of the wall and spewed 65 gal of piping hot water all over the basement floor. I spent two hours with a shop vac sucking up water while the plumber, whose employee caused the mess, fixed the problem. Next morning the guys building my barn moved my equipment out of the shop and picked up the flooring. HD rented us large fans and dehumidifiers and 3 days later everything was back in place with the plumber helping me with the rental bill (he's a friend and been our plumber for 20+ years so we split it tho I did not feel a bit at fault...). A local office of a nationally known "disaster" company wanted $10k to clean it up. The bill we split was under $800...Something to think about if you have wood floors in a basement but I do love the way the shop looks, it's warmer, more comfortable, easy to clean and easier on tools.
    Last edited by john snowdon; 01-09-2015 at 4:54 PM. Reason: spelling

I have a wood "mat" made of 2 4x4 sheets of ply screwed to 2x4 sleepers. Much, much easier on my legs. Would love to do my whole floor this way, but I am doing it piecemeal, building "mats" wherever I stand the most. Much more affordable. Easier to lift if need be.
    Paul

I started with bare unfinished concrete floor for several years and could tell after spending the whole day on it.

I then just put some interlocking mats by each tool and noticed a real difference.

So I sealed the concrete slab, laid down some 1/2" OSB directly on the concrete under all the tools and then put 2x2 interlocking mats everywhere else.

The non slip mats really makes a difference around the workbench and assembly table.

IMG05605sml.jpg

Also around the tools
    IMG05596sml.jpg

IMG05593sml.jpg

The OSB under the tools makes for easy clean up and eliminates any trip hazard by having the entire floor at one level.
    The other major consideration is if a chisel rolls or gets knocked of the bench it will most likely hit the soft mat and won't be damaged.

Rob

Beautiful shop, Rob!

John

I would think that there is more behind the design of the floor for the New York Knicks besides their logo.
    I would love to have a wood floor,even though I have thick mats under my machines and standing area in front of the machines
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 01-10-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Rob, very nice shop . . . . but I am thinking maybe you could use another clamp or two . . . . . . I envy your collection, obviously. Patrick