Thread: Laser Engraving 1/8 Maple for Wine Charms

Laser Engraving 1/8 Maple for Wine Charms

I am an enhtusiastic newbie to this laser world. I have scanned the list for this question and did not find an answer, but I might not be using the correct search words.

I want to engrave words onto 1/8 inch wood sheets, then cut them out for wine charms. I can't get anything to look right. The letters of the words are appear burned around the edges and not defined at all.

I created the artwork in illustrator. I removed the fill from the letters so they appear as outlines and changed the width to hairline. I then converted them to outlines. I set my laser to engrave the words first, then cut out the shapes (along with a hole for the wire). They look awful!

I am using up my wood with practice and I just can't seem to get it right. Am I using the wrong wood (1/8 inch laminated maple from LaserBits)? Am I setting up my artwork wrong? Should I remove the fill from the letters? The font size varies from 8 to 11 points. Too small?

Thanks so much for your help!Engraving-on-Wood.jpg
    Last edited by Donna Babylon; 01-08-2015 at 2:20 PM. Reason: added picture

Pictures would help, and also put your equipment in your signature so people with the same laser can help you. but from your description I'd say your using to much power if they are all charred, Try different setting, go to HD get some cheap 3mm plywood and practice with that. We really need to know what your using for a laser.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Donna,

Pictures would really help to figure out what's wrong.

From what you are describing it sounds like you are either using too much power or going to slow which is allowing the wood to burn. Also you might want to first apply a finish such as lacquer first. You will be able to wipe off any residue from the engraving.

EDIT... Looks like Bert and I were replying at the same time but he got finished first.. So I agree with his post...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Engraving-on-Wood.jpgThanks for the suggestion about listing my equipment. I THINK I have made the changes. I also attached an image of my results. This was my best attempt. I hope you guys can help me. If I have forgotten something else, please just tell me. Thanks!
    Donna Babylon
    Windsor Oak Publishing
    www.SayItWIthApplique.com

Jamison Laser LG-640
    Illustrator CS5

I guess this is a Gewiki 40 watt laser with laser cut 5.3 correct if I'm wrong, try engrave setting of sp 350 pwr of 20, cut spd pwr 65 spd 12 n see what happens
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My best advise is to go back and run your file at 10% power and then start going up 10% at a time until you reach the darkness you desire minus the char your getting... I don't know how many watts your laser is... but you are just putting way too much power into your engraving.... Also you might want to look at your DPI. Normal is about 250 to 500. If I try to run any higher I start to get more burn in...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

I agree with all above. I actually have some of the 1/4" laminated cherry from LaserBits and can't get it to do anything but burn no matter what I do. I won't cut at all. So I would try what everyone of the experts above are mentioning, but I also would also try some different wood and see what results you come up with. I'm taking delivery of my new laser next week and I'm hoping it will be able to cut the cherry I have. Good luck and keep us up to date on your results.

THANKS so much for everyone's suggestion. I tweaked the settings and also checked the focus. It was WAY out of wack! So in today's run, the items engraved and cut, but I have soot on the back of the discs and also the letters look a little burned. I used what laserbits calls "econo laser wood" for today's run. I also have some alder that I want to use, but want to get the settings right. Any suggestions on the soot and charring? Also, any suggestions on the type of wood for final product? I also want to adapt the artwork and make coasters. I don't know if I want to use wood or cork. Just trying to figure it all out!
    burning around letters.jpgcharred back.jpgburned edges.jpg
    Donna Babylon
    Windsor Oak Publishing

Jamison Laser LG-640
    Illustrator CS5

If you give your wood a clear coat of poly before engraving both sides the soot will wipe right off with a damp cloth. Charring on the edges is normal but you can get it to a minimum or a slightly choc brown by lowering your power some more. get some scrap and lower power till it dosn't cut thru then increase power till you get thru it. increase in baby steps. also when you have it in focus raise the table just a little so you focus is more toward the middle, if your material is 1/8th focus like its 1/16th.
    Go to home depot and get some 1/8 ply in there hobby wood section. Or 1/8 alder. try them much cheaper then laserbits.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks, Bert. Grat advice. Should it be spray poly? Or coat it with a brush? Do you have a brand you like to use?

Right now my engraving power is 35. Maybe go down to 30?, then 25?
    Donna Babylon
    Windsor Oak Publishing

Jamison Laser LG-640
    Illustrator CS5

I use clear spray lacquer dries in 15 minutes and 1/2 the cost of poly. Rust O leum is the brand. Normally I use Krylon for paint because Rust O leum takes forever to dry, but not this stuff!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I buy a qt can of miniwax oil modified water based poly. I brush it on 2 coats, light sand between coats. drys in 10 or 15 mins. A quart can will last like 15 cans of spray. You could probably get away with 1 coat, the reason I do 2 is that sometimes you miss spots so 2 coats your pretty sure to get it all. Also I find spray cans mess up a lot they quit working or clog. I have a lot of half empty spray can sitting on shelves that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Babylon View Post
    Thanks, Bert. Grat advice. Should it be spray poly? Or coat it with a brush? Do you have a brand you like to use?

Right now my engraving power is 35. Maybe go down to 30?, then 25?
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-09-2015 at 9:58 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Have you tried working with clear acrylic?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Donna;
    You might try solid 5/32" cherry, maple, or walnut-check Friends of the Creek for "thin wood".
    Also, increase speed rather than cutting power down so low-faster and cleaner results.
    Best Regards,Geo
    rge
    Laserarts

Yes, Mike I have used clear acrylic but not for this purpose. I also make cookie stamps from 3/8". But these little charms might look pretty neat in acrylic. Especially in color. I have some 1/8 sheets that I plan to mess with this weekend. Thanks for the nudge and idea!
    Donna Babylon
    Windsor Oak Publishing

Jamison Laser LG-640
    Illustrator CS5