Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upside down receptacles?

It is actually faster to plug a cord into a receptacle with ground-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Orange are isolated ground receptacles for sensitive equipment. I just installed some at church for our audio/video equipment due to a ground loop hum.
    Indeed that's what orange is for. The ones in your photo are red so they are connected to the emergency power to be supplied by the hospital's generator(s) if the primary supply is interrupted. Those would be used for critical life support equipment such as ventilators and physiological monitoring.

Glad to hear your wife is doing well.

Dave Richards is a biomedical engineer IIRC. He could probably give us some insight.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Most outlets, here in the East anyhow, have one controlled by a switch and one always hot. How would that work?
    I don't know the answer, Wade, but I bet California has a law for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Well, why are they so crooked ? I would not pay for that .
    Ask the staff. As a former service tech to hospital gear
    I can say there are two levels of destruction possible
    for electrical gear.

What your children can do. (First)
    What an RN with too many meds to administer can do. (Second)

In some care units, the space between the beds was designed
    when sick Americans were taller than wide.

Beds have become wider, in the interim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Ground up is code and is how every receptacle ever installed on any of my jobs has been done - it would very quickly hit the punch list if not. I believe it is NEC, and I do not believe there is any specific health care spec.
    I'm aware of no NEC rule that specifies ground plug up.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Some years ago i was in a clinic in St. Paul, MN doing electrical safety testing on clinical equipment. i came across a wall mounted device plugged into an outlet with the ground pin down. The wall covering above the receptacle was scorched and when I opened the cord cap, i found it had melted and burned the insulation back on the wires. the staff told me a child had found a paper clip and dropped it across the the pins. You could see the outline of the paper clip on the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I'm aware of no NEC rule that specifies ground plug up.
    NECA 130-2010 specifies the neutral pin is on top.

"Gounding-type receptacles mounted vertically should have the grounding conductor opening at the top. Receptacles mounted in the horizontal position should be mounted with the neutral conductor (long slot) up."
    NECA 130-2010 5.5.3.e.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-09-2015 at 7:52 AM.

I really upset the electrician working on our house addition when I insisted that he install the outlets ground side up. It really offended him it seemed, though he couldn't explain it. t think there's good reason to do it and no reason not to.

True that, Roger. I installed them that way when we finished the basement and I've done it in my shop. I still need to turn the receptacles over in the upstairs of our house.

Dave, I was just going to post that I found found some articles online (Mike Holt for instance) that said NEC does not cover it and that either way is acceptable. Thanks for posting.

Matt, I had to look it up to get the reference number and I came across Mike Holt's comment. The National Electric Code (NEC) and the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) are two different things.

NECA130-2010 is part of the National Electrical Installation Standards (NEIS). It is ..."intended to comply with the edition of the National Electric code (NEC) in effect at the time of publication. Because they are quality standards, NEIS may in some instances go beyond the minimum requirements of the NEC."
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-09-2015 at 8:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Indeed that's what orange is for. The ones in your photo are red so they are connected to the emergency power to be supplied by the hospital's generator(s) if the primary supply is interrupted. Those would be used for critical life support equipment such as ventilators and physiological monitoring.

Glad to hear your wife is doing well.
    Well orange is just red with a little yellow thrown and we all know there is a lot of yellow in a hospital room...My bad, yes they were red.
    NOW you tell me...

Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I really upset the electrician working on our house addition when I insisted that he install the outlets ground side up. It really offended him it seemed, though he couldn't explain it. t think there's good reason to do it and no reason not to.
    We live in a ground-plug-down world. And many devices, like the surge suppressors that fit into and cover an existing receptacle, and cords with right-angle plugs, are clearly designed for ground-plug-down installs.

So the result of ground-plug-up installs is right-angle cords travelling UP the wall instead of down. And, suppressors may have their reset buttons/indicator LED's facing down, and all the text upside down (which looks dumb).

And then there are heavy transformers that use the middle screw of a receptacle for support. All of the units I've found with a ground plug are designed for a conventional (ground-plug-down) install.

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Most outlets, here in the East anyhow, have one controlled by a switch and one always hot. How would that work?
    Wade, assuming a quad outlet, the one controlled by the switch is ground up and the hot side is ground side down. Thus the visual "clue" that part of it is switched.
    Last edited by Patrick McCarthy; 01-09-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: To add photo, but why is it upside down? Somewhat ironic but unintended.