Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upside down receptacles?

Blog Entries

Upside down receptacles?

In my wife's hospital room a few weeks ago I noticed these receptacles: I was always taught that the ground plug should be on the bottom. To me any other way just looks wrong. Hospitals often require one of the highest level of commercial work. 12 outlets and none of them being used! Please understand I am not slamming these U of M hospital specs, even though I am a Spartans fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-08-2015 at 6:02 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Years ago I remember them being installed that way.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

An electrician once told me that they should be that way. The thinking is that if something metal dropped on the plug it would hit the grounding lug first. But I think it looks weird too.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    An electrician once told me that they should be that way. The thinking is that if something metal dropped on the plug it would hit the grounding lug first. But I think it looks weird too.
    That's what I was told by my electrician.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Our hospitals and clinics have them installed that way. Partly for the reason Judson gave. The other reason is if the receptacle loosens, it is the ground pin which becomes exposed instead of the hot. There are specs on how much withdrawl force is required to remove them but they do get looser over time. I think the spec is that they should be tight enough that when the nurse unplugs the cord by yanking on it from across the room, the plug comes off the cord.

What kind of a room is it? There seem to be a lot of emergency power receptacles in one spot.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-08-2015 at 6:43 PM.

Well, why are they so crooked ? I would not pay for that .

Blog Entries
    We had this discussion where I used to work when two areas of the building were renovated at two different times and the second renovation used a different electrical contractor than the first. Further investigation revealed that the electrical code does not specify which way duplex receptacles are to be installed, just how they are wired. That may have changed in more recent editions. Apparently it is up to the electrician doing the work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Every hospital I've visited (thankfully, I've never been a patient) had the receptacles with the ground up. Maybe it's a hospital requirement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hospitals not only have to abide by the national electrical code but have their own regulations probably established by the biomedical department. Biomedical regulations could very well dictate that for some reason. The regulations regarding electrical with regards to patient safety are pretty tightly enforced with required strict compliance, regularly scheduled checks, quick follow up checks after a violation is discovered and thorough documentation!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

out here on the west coast, at least in a residential setting, they are installed ground down. However, if the outlet is controlled by a wall switch, they are put in ground up - - - but I understand it is for a visual clue rather than a code requirement. Will take a look next time I am in a hospital . . . . . hope not too soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    out here on the west coast, at least in a residential setting, they are installed ground down. However, if the outlet is controlled by a wall switch, they are put in ground up - - - but I understand it is for a visual clue rather than a code requirement. Will take a look next time I am in a hospital . . . . . hope not too soon though.
    Most outlets, here in the East anyhow, have one controlled by a switch and one always hot. How would that work?

I was a project manager for the CM/GC in healthcare construction for 10 years. Ground up is code and is how every receptacle ever installed on any of my jobs has been done - it would very quickly hit the punch list if not. I believe it is NEC, and I do not believe there is any specific health care spec. I've always understood that residential installs are incorrect but since it looks "normal" to most everyone it is not corrected or marked up during inspection.

By the way, it looks like those receptacles are in what is called the headwall. That's where all of the gases, pillow speaker, vacuum, patient monitoring receptacle, etc. are installed. Believe me, every single one of those receptacles and devices are very carefully planned out. Some of them are on emergency power and everything is supposed to be plugged in a specific place in case of a power failure the patient will be okay.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 01-08-2015 at 8:06 PM.

Many medical apparatus are mounted high, and have plugs angled to keep the cables off the floor.
    I noticed that at UofM also.
    I do hope your Wife is doing well.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Matt, you're right about that stuff being very carefully planned out.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-08-2015 at 8:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    I was holding the phone at a wield angle so it made the receptacles look crooked. Anne had a mitral valve repair done there December 16, she went home after 3 days and is doing fine, thank you for asking. She now had a titanium ring holding the valve opening in the right position. Picture was taken at the head end of the bed in a one bed step down unit. Reasons for ground up makes sense. Orange are isolated ground receptacles for sensitive equipment. I just installed some at church for our audio/video equipment due to a ground loop hum.
    NOW you tell me...