Thread: Dial indicator fixture for jointer

Dial indicator fixture for jointer

This isn't much of a creation but it works well so I thought I would post some photos. I needed something to set the knives on my jointer and came up with this out of a small piece of Cherry and some small Honduras Mahogany wedges (I don't have scraps in my shop, only pieces for smaller and smaller projects) -
    1 - Jointer knife setting tool - Dial indicator.jpg

2 - Jointer knife setting tool - Dial indicator.jpg

These are just simple magnets from Lowe's. I couldn't use Rare Earth or I wouldn't be able to move this at all. As it is the Mahogany wedges keep the fixture a few thousandths proud of the surface and it slides with just enough effort that it doesn't move until I want it moved. Plus, I didn't want to scratch the beds with the magnets.
    3 - Jointer knife setting tool - magnets.jpg

4 - Jointer knife setting tool - no indicator.jpg
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Nicely done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't see any problems with this design. The indicator gets zeroed before use, so any wood expansion or contraction gets zeroed out, too.

John

I like it, very nice.
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

and i was just going to plop down $90 on a Oneway multi gage!! Pssshhhh. not anymore. very well done and great idea.

Very nicely done, I use a Oneway dial indicator stand for the same purpose and it sure cost a lot more than your home made one.

Blog Entries
    Very nice and we'll thought out. Small projects are important to share as well, not just the big ones.

For future reference: you can set neodymium magnets into a jig so that they do not touch the surface yet they will still pull the into the metal. This link will help you to determine the depth vs pull force.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK DEFILIPPO View Post
    For future reference: you can set neodymium magnets into a jig so that they do not touch the surface yet they will still pull the into the metal. This link will help you to determine the depth vs pull force.

Thanks for sharing that!

Also David, that is a very nice, well-done tool. I hope more people will post ideas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    This isn't much of a creation but it works well so I thought I would post some photos. I needed something to set the knives on my jointer and came up with this out of a small piece of Cherry and some small Honduras Mahogany wedges (I don't have scraps in my shop, only pieces for smaller and smaller projects) -

These are just simple magnets from Lowe's. I couldn't use Rare Earth or I wouldn't be able to move this at all. As it is the Mahogany wedges keep the fixture a few thousandths proud of the surface and it slides with just enough effort that it doesn't move until I want it moved. Plus, I didn't want to scratch the beds with the magnets.
    Love it and a +1 on no scrap in the shop.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by MARK DEFILIPPO View Post
    This link will help you to determine the depth vs pull force.
    Mark, that's a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing.

David, love the jig and will build today for some testing. I replaced the knives on my jointer recently - they're a Tersa type (Leica) - but somehow things aren't quite right. I need to resolve the issue, and this jig will help.