Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electolysis - Removing rust on Powermatic 54A Jointer

Electolysis - Removing rust on Powermatic 54A Jointer

I've posted about the restoration on my well rusted PM 66 table saw and Delta DJ-15 jointer, but last year I picked up a PM 54A jointer found on CL. The jointer had been in a non-climate controlled storage building and subject to humidity so it had what I thought was surface rust. When I got it home I realized the rust was a little more than I had initially realized. But, I figured, I had already been successful in getting the heavy rust off the other two tools so this one didn't seem like it would be that bad.

This time I used Electrolysis everywhere I could and it worked great. So this is what I did -

When I brought it home it looked like this -
    PM 54A - rusted beds, fence.jpg

Kind of heavy in some areas -
    PM 54A - more rust.jpg

Ugly spot there in front of the cutterhead, which doesn't look too good, either -
    PM 54A - rusted cutterhead.jpg

Here's the cutterhead out of the jointer -
    PM 54A - cutterhead before electrolysis.jpg

What I have here is a towel wetted with water and baking soda. I don't remember how much but in a 5 gallon pail I think I used about 2 gallons of water and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of baking soda. I wrung the towel out about 75% and placed a sacrificial sheet metal plate I picked up at Lowe's on top of the towel. Then I hooked my battery charger, one lead to the jointer and one to the metal plate. Then I placed some weight on the metal plate to make sure there was good contact. In this case I used some Honduras Mahogany cutoffs from some columns.
    PM 54A - electrolysis.jpg

After about 3-4 minutes the amperage gauge goes to about nothing which indicates the towel is now dry and has done all it is going to do. This is after removing the towel and no additional effort applied to the bed other than using the same towel to wipe the bed where the rust was.
    PM 54A - after electrolysis.jpg

Far less rust, looks pretty good -
    PM 54A - less rust.jpg

Here's the cutterhead wrapped in a rag and with bailing wire wrapped tightly to make sure there is good contact. I hooked the leads up, gave it 3-4 minutes, and pulled the rag off.
    PM 54A - cutterhead electrolysis.jpg
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Here's the cutterhead after Electrolysis and a little buffing with a Scotch-Brite pad -
    PM 54A - cutterhead after electrolysis.jpg

And here's the finished machine. Looks good, runs good, and not a lot of effort to clean up using this process.
    PM 54A - finished.jpg

Thanks for reading!
    David
    David

Your results look fantastic. Congratulations on your restoration.

I purchased a Hammer A3-31 J/P that had been left outside for a year. I removed the rust on the tables with a combination of scraping with razor blades, and building a dam around the edge of the tables with modeling clay and pouring a pool of Evaporust. Your electrolysis method looks so much cleaner and faster. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    Your results look fantastic. Congratulations on your restoration.

I purchased a Hammer A3-31 J/P that had been left outside for a year. I removed the rust on the tables with a combination of scraping with razor blades, and building a dam around the edge of the tables with modeling clay and pouring a pool of Evaporust. Your electrolysis method looks so much cleaner and faster. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes sir, glad to help! Holler if you have any questions about the process. I've done this several times on rusted pieces.
    David

Beautiful job, it's hard to believe it's the same machine. I almost cried when I saw the second picture close-up.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice job and great write up. Now I really want to go out and find some neglected (cheap) piece of quality iron to try it out!

BTW, for future reference, if your towel dries out before enough rust is removed, don't re-moisten it with your baking soda solution- use water instead. The soda from the first run is still in the towel, so adding more solution could make too strong a concentration, and you might burn out your charger from too much current flow.

Quote Originally Posted by John Donhowe View Post
    Nice job and great write up. Now I really want to go out and find some neglected (cheap) piece of quality iron to try it out!

BTW, for future reference, if your towel dries out before enough rust is removed, don't re-moisten it with your baking soda solution- use water instead. The soda from the first run is still in the towel, so adding more solution could make too strong a concentration, and you might burn out your charger from too much current flow.
    Good tip, John. I used the dry towel and close to 0 amps as an indicator that it's time to remove the towel. I don't think I had to redo any spot but truly didn't think about the solution being too strong if I reapplied. I guess I got lucky because the first application did it every time.

Thanks!
    David
    David

Great informational post David. Thanks for posting it.

Excellent post David!

I will store your method in my memory banks for future use! Never would have thought of doing it that way myself!

Just wondering, with the cutterhead, why did you elect to wrap it in the towel rather than drop it into a bucket of solution? I suppose to avoid pulling the bearings off? Or, why do anything different when the method is working so well?

Thanks for posting this!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Excellent post David!

I will store your method in my memory banks for future use! Never would have thought of doing it that way myself!

Just wondering, with the cutterhead, why did you elect to wrap it in the towel rather than drop it into a bucket of solution? I suppose to avoid pulling the bearings off? Or, why do anything different when the method is working so well?

Thanks for posting this!

Bill
    Thanks, Bill! I guess I did it that way because I was on a roll with a method/procedure and it was working. Besides, it makes better photos than dropping something in a bucket.
    David

Great tip on how to do large flat surfaces. You didn't mention this but the positive lead goes to the sacrificial anode (sheet metal) and the negative to the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Great tip on how to do large flat surfaces. You didn't mention this but the positive lead goes to the sacrificial anode (sheet metal) and the negative to the machine.
    Good point, Roy. I went back and looked at the photos and that's how I did it, even on the cutterhead. Thanks!
    David

I just learned something; thanks!

Baking soda? Usually Arm and Hammer washing soda is used.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Baking soda? Usually Arm and Hammer washing soda is used.
    Basically the same stuff but the washing soda is cheaper. Look for it in the laundry soap isle.