Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on setting up a Neanderthal "Work triangle"?

Thoughts on setting up a Neanderthal "Work triangle"?

I am just starting on getting my 2 car garage converted into a useful work space. I have a number of built in structures planned including a 22' long bench/ boat builders gurry trap along one side wall, a pantry/mud/dust room/ lumber/ply rack in the opposite back corner and god help me general storage along the back wall. I am hoping to have about 300 sq-ft of flexible space left. My basic power tool selection except the 18" Walker Turner band saw are on wheels and I will have a corner to push them into when not in use. I am envisioning 100 sq-ft being reserved for a semi permanent neanderthal work space with a Bench, tool box of some sort, saw bench and assembly table. The semi mobile part comes into play when I bring a canoe or small boat into the shop. At that point chaos will reign. I would greatly appreciate hearing any suggestions for getting a small focused hand tool space organized. Thanks, Woody
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 01-08-2015 at 11:18 PM.

A bench, tool box, saw bench, assembly table, and room to work in 100 sq ft? I really don't see that happening unless you are willing to stray a bit (at least temporarily) into that other 200 sq ft.

Start with a good work bench. Putting it against a wall with tool storage on the wall takes less space (if you have a wall), but you can't work all around it. In a small space, it is sometimes handy to be able to walk around the bench and work on things on different sides. That's really a matter of style and the type of work you do. If you don't have room for a separate assembly table and need to do assembly on your bench, it is much more handy to be able to walk around the bench (and to have a wider top). If the bench is away from the wall, I find it handy to have a tool cabinet on the wall behind it so you can turn around and grab what you need. Again, this is a style and preference thing. Some people like to work out of a chest (maybe on wheels), etc. But find a way to store your common tools so they aren't more than a step or two away.

A saw bench is handy if you are going to do a lot of hand stock prep. Try to design something that you can tuck away somewhere (like under the bench) to get it out of the way when you aren't using it. That's always the trick with a small space -- keep things mobile so you can get them out of the way when not in use.

The assembly table is a good idea (you always need a bigger table to work on no matter what you are doing). I would consider giving a good chunk of space to a (possibly mobile) assembly table if you can get away with it. If everything is piled on your bench you can work on the bench.

It all seems doable (I work in a smaller space). You just have to try to stay organized. Try to keep your most used tools within arms reach and everything else put away. That's part of the fun of setting up shop -- figuring out where to put everything and then continuously "improving" upon it until the end of time.

In my shop which is a hybrid shop, I ahve a table saw, a band saw, a scroll saw, a decent sized drill press, and 5 (yes five) benches. One bench is an assembly bench and is topped with Melamine so I can stain and glue on it with impunity. It is built on a Fine woodowrking article about a basic bench.

I have another bench set up as a planing and cutting/joinery bench, set at a lower height to make ahnd planing easier. In the process of building a more serious bench to replace it.

I have one bench set up as a print table/desk, and one set up for the hollow chisel morticer/sharpening bench.

One final bench supports the chop saw and stages parts and tools while I am working. One might question the chop saw in a more neader type shop, but I build lots of different stuff and really do not see using Lie Nielson, Veritas, Bad Axe, and Bontz saws in treated wood and 2 x 4 lumber.

Hoping to build something along the lines of the Anarchists tool chest for storage.

Hope this helps. This workshop shares my garage with bikes, lawn mower, gardening tools, my electrical dn refrigeration tools for the trade, etc. Needless to say, my garage is a very busy place. Lumber takes up a fair bit of room also.

Good luck and keep us informed, I am always interested to see how shops evolve. You will know as you work in your shop hwo you wish to change it.

I like to have my bench exposed on all four sides.

I recommend having an assembly table, the same height.
    If there is potential for it, Josh Finn's design using
    torsion box beams is a good solution for this.

It can be stored, when not in use.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodw...rkbenches.aspx

shopprint.jpg

This is the last rough plan I came up with. Work bench up front near roll up door (bottom of page) and the power tools can roll back into the shop when not in use. I am hoping to build a plywood,foam and Plexiglas "storm door" out side of the roll up door. This will let give me north light when the garage door is up.

May not like mine, though.

I can about touch the workbench and the bench with the plane till on it, without more than a step. Connecting these two is an old dresser. It has a drill press, and a scrollsaw on it. One tool chest is also in this small space, a second is on the other side of the workbench. One can just work away inside the work area, and might take a few steps, if any. A 6" dual wheel grinder is even in this space, right beside the plane till. Handsaws hang from the overhead joists, and all of the handclamps, too.

Have since added a second bench of sorts, as I have doubled the work area. It has a lathe sitting on it, now. There is also another cabinet, to connect the two benches, and it holds a 22" craftsman mitre box and saws. I have a couple LONG pipe clamps to bridge between the work bench and the lathe bench. I can set them on there, and add a plank or two, so I can work on longer projects.

Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    shopprint.jpg

This is the last rough plan I came up with. Work bench up front near roll up door (bottom of page) and the power tools can roll back into the shop when not in use. I am hoping to build a plywood,foam and Plexiglas "storm door" out side of the roll up door. This will let give me north light when the garage door is up.

Looks good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I like to have my bench exposed on all four sides.

I recommend having an assembly table, the same height.
    If there is potential for it, Josh Finn's design using
    torsion box beams is a good solution for this.

It can be stored, when not in use.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodw...rkbenches.aspx

I have seriously considered building this, it seems like the ideal solution to mobility and stability.

Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    shopprint.jpg

For me, I'd rather keep my workbench in a fixed location rather than put it in a location where I may have to move it. If it were me, I'd put the bench in the back and the power tools, which could be on casters or moveable lifts, up by the overhead door.

My previous handtool workshop was smaller then 100 sq feet. And it workerd pretty well, even for making a dining room table. But one tip, don't put your workbench in a corner. That really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    For me, I'd rather keep my workbench in a fixed location rather than put it in a location where I may have to move it. If it were me, I'd put the bench in the back and the power tools, which could be on casters or moveable lifts, up by the overhead door.
    I thought of that. The idea of a "bench room" in the upper right corner is appealing. If I went up against the back wall I would be losing significant storage space. If I go against the right wall I loose my full leangth bench and more storage space. I will also be "in a corner" The full leangth bench will hopefully provide all the overflow The real wild card is when I bring a 16 to 18' canoe into the shop. I am going to make the dust room pantry quite a bit smaller , I think.
    shopprintcanoe.jpg
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 01-09-2015 at 11:19 AM.

I'm still messing around with the design.
    The drawing got flipped 90 degrees. I spent to much time today moving virtual sheets around the Grizzly shop planner and got rid of most of the enclosed clean storage space. I also lost the radial arm saw table and lumber rack and replaced it with a rolling compound miter saw. I had hopes for the radial arm saw table being large and high enough that I could "hide" the table saw and planer/jointer underneath. Hopefully a bearskin will be sufficient for this more flexible layout. I would still appreciate any suggestions for setting up a Neanderthal "shop with in a shop" thanks, Woody
    sanitylabeled..jpg

Here's the same space and tools with a 16' canoe brought in. Still a mess and it looks like I lost the miter saw cart some where along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 01-13-2015 at 9:10 PM.

My hand tool space is 9'L x 7'W. It is bound by walls on the left and behind the bench. My bench is 7-1/2' long, giving 1-1/2' free at the left end of the bench.

Tool storage: saws and braces on the left wall, planes and marking tools in bench storage (6" of clearance under top for holdfast use), and a tool chest for everything else which stows under the right side of bench top.

The saw benches stow under the left side of bench top.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Paul Sellers has just written a blog called "Working at the Hub of Woodworking" which is probably pretty relevant to this thread.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

15. Funny you mention a canoe. I'm still in the army, and move around a bit, so I never know what kind of shop I will have. I just went from a 3-car space to one car- and I have a canoe. My solution was to mount some large L-shaped brackets made of 2x4s to the wall, and hoist my canoe upside down against the wall on the brackets. The canoe is secured with rope to the wall. It literally is over my head while I work-but I am pretty short!
    I hate the arrangement, but it is the compromise I have to make right now.
    Best,
    Eric