Thread: Gast vacuum pump question

Gast vacuum pump question

I have built a vacuum system for my wife using the following components:

Gast 0523-504Q-G18DX pump (used)
    JT Turning Tool vacuum manifold and adapter

I can only get 15 hg of vacuum. All tubing and connections seem to be secure. Should I expect more? If so, where do I start troubleshooting?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom

Tom, when troubleshooting vacuum - like anything else you have to break it down into sections if you suspect you have a leak. I would attach the gauge directly to the pump and see what it can draw as a max. You said the pump was used... so how used would be a valid question. The pump uses graphite vanes and they do wear out. I haven't done it to my pump yet but know they offer rebuild kits - if/when needed.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have exactly the same setup and have gotten used to cleaning the internal filters every few months. Also check the o-rings on the JT adapter. You should be able to pull 29" with this machine and over 20" in real use unless the wood is very porous.

Thanks for the suggestions. I mounted the guage directly to the pump a nd still got the same 15" reading. I will get the rebuild kit and try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Davis View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I mounted the guage directly to the pump a nd still got the same 15" reading. I will get the rebuild kit and try that.
    Tom - I have same pump. Considering rebuild to improve performance. Please post info on source and cost for rebuild kit. Thanks! - John

Tom, spend some time Googling available rebuild kits. There are a number of them out there. Here are just a couple. Good luck with your rebuild!
    http://gopro.pro/Gast_K478_Repair_Kit.htm
    http://www.septictankparts.com/Pump-...ompressor.html
    Steve

Tom, the re-build kits are the way to go. I had the same problem and the kit fixed mine. About a 20 minute job. Good luck.
    Joe

Tom, make sure the filters with o-rings in the end of the vacuum head are sealing. If not you can loose vacuum there.

I have the 0522 pump and it's vanes were fairly worn down. It would only pull about 20". I ordered new vanes and it now pulls 27.5 which for my elevation is pretty good. (I'm at 1680 feet. Makes a difference on how many inches you can pull!). I think I paided about $50 for the new vanes which is the main thing in the rebuild kits. I got mine from
    http://cfpwarehouse.com/shopsite_sc/...ast_vanes.html
    They were great to work with. Turns out there were two different sizes vanes for the 0522 series and I got the wrong ones at first. They contacted Gast and found out which were the right ones for my pump and got them to me. At $12.65 a vane it was the best price I found. Not connected to them in any was except as a happy customer.
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 01-11-2015 at 9:16 AM.
    Sparky Paessler

I ordered the kit from GoPro. I'll post the results.

Thanks guys

Update:

I received the rebuild kit today. It was about a 15 minute install and the pump now pulls 27" of vacuum compared to 15" before the rebuild.

I could've saved $15 or $20 by purchasing just the vanes as suggested by Sparky but the gasket broke apart when I took the pump apart, so the kit worked out better for me.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Happy to hear that the rebuild kit worked out! Looking forward to seeing some turnings!!
    Steve