Thread: Continuity checker.

Continuity checker.

I Have a continuity checker like the one in the photo below. Nothing fancy, very basic. $3 at the big box store.
    Anyone know of one sold like it that also has a tone/ buzzer?

I have a Multimeter with tone but it takes up too much space on my bench when building cables.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Here is a home made one. Buzzer continuity tester
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another way: Take the brass key off of your Morse Code practice Oscillator and put test leads on it.
    Huh, what, doesn't everyone have a Heathkit HD-1416-B sitting on a shelf? What a world, what a world.

How about using something like a Radio Shack piezioelectic buzzer (less than $5) taped to a battery? Add wire and test probes as needed. If it takes up valuable workbench space attach it to a riser. And put it in a nice wood box.

-Tom

wow, Tom! Someone else here who remembers Heathkits!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    wow, Tom! Someone else here who remembers Heathkits!

Regards, Marty
    We are not all young uns. My oldest brother built his own CW transmitter from a kit back in the 1950s.

Dave, what you may be looking for is a product from Mallory called a Sonalert.

http://www.google.com/search?q=sonal...TF-8&oq=&gs_l=

I had a large one with a few old AA batteries taped to the outside that I used for years working on electronics. I used it because it was free to me and the batteries were too weak for the flashlight they were in. I have some of the smaller ones around someplace, but it looks like they may be cheap enough and you may be able to source them inexpensively locally.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I still have a few somewhere that I haven't used for a while. I loved building their kits when I was much younger. I probably still have the HD-1416-B sitting around as well along with the code training course along with the audio tapes that came with it. Ah, the good old days.
    David B

If you decide to build it and go the Radio Shack route search their website for "buzzer". They have several of the piezo type buzzers for less than $5. The Mallory Sonalets are the same type of noisemaker but cost more, are better constructed and have a ridiculous life of 50,000 hours or something like that. I installed several Sonalerts at work for alarm systems and as far as I know none failed in 20+ years.

Places to find them: Computer motherboards but might not be loud enough, microwave ovens, kids toys that have to make a beep now and then,

I have one but the frequency goes up and down like a police siren. If it were a steady tone I'd drop it in the mail. This thread made me go out in the garage and dig through my Junque Pyle.

-Tom

Thanks for all the tips so far.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Here's one someone built. Complete with pictures.

http://www.jestineyong.com/continuity-tester/

I didn't see any commercially available ones out there, as most people have a meter these days.

Better hurry if you want to buy something at Radio Shack. I've been in 2 different malls since Christmas and in both the Radio Shack was having a "Clearance" sale on EVERYTHING in the store, not that there was much left. They were using the same signs the liquidators always use.