Thread: Sipo Mahogany vanity top finish?

Sipo Mahogany vanity top finish?

I am making a simple vanity top with Sipo mahogany to hold a faucet and vessel sink for my half bath.

I am looking for recommendations on finishes for this application. Since it is in the half bath I think it will only ever see soap and water but with a kid running around I can't ensure that water will be wiped off immediately.

I am experimenting with Epifanes spar varnish on some scrap since it seems like coatings for a marine environment would be appropriate. Visually, the Epifanes is beautiful but I don't know if it will rub out to a lower gloss or how durable it is.

Any suggestions on what I should use for this project?

Thx

Spar varnishes are not water proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    Spar varnishes are not water proof.
    They don't stop water vapor but of course they are impervious to liquid water or the wood underneath would degrade, and rather quickly. Epifanes is arguably the best of the marine varnishes. All varnishes targeted for marine applications are pretty soft; I've never tried to rub one out but I suspect it's not easy.

You might consider General Finishes WB Exterior 450 product. It's much easier to apply than Epifanes and is very durable. Several folks here have used it on their exterior doors and have given it high marks. You might also consider General Finishes Enduro Conversion Varnish, another WB product designed for bar tops and commercial applications. The later would be my personal choice.

John

Should I consider waterlox original finish sealer?