Thread: Techniques for maintaining a "fire break" envelope with attached garage?

Techniques for maintaining a "fire break" envelope with attached garage?

I am starting the conversion of my attached garage to workshop. Attached garages are apparently built to a certain code that requires fireproof doors and a fire resistant wall and ceiling covering (drywall in this case).

One of my plans is to build an interior partition that that while "non load-bearing" will in fact be my lumber rack. I will be solidly tying the rack/partition into the adjoining ceiling and wall framing , but am unclear on how to separate the new structure that will be open framing and sheathing piled with tinder and kindling from the rest of the houses wooden flammable structure.

A related question is how would I safely and "legally" run a dust collector in the "attic" of the shop which is open to rest of the attic space.

Thanks, Woody
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 01-12-2015 at 8:07 PM.

attached garage are required to have a fire rated wall separating the garage from the rest of the house. I believe it is a 1hour rating. this wall would extend from the foundation to the underside of the roof sheathing. this can be done with concrete block or fire rated gyp board. two layers of 5/8" fire code gyp board, for taped, would also do it. this is not easy to do in existing buildings. the door in this wall would need to be rated also.

+1

I would make a small addition on the back or side wall of the garage with an outside access door for the dust collector. Insulate and drywall this addition to contain the noise and provide the fire rating. Dust collectors in the attic are noisy (because they shake the shop ceiling) and very difficult to clean. You might also consider putting your air compressor in it too. Anchor both to the floor, not the walls. My dust collector and compressor shed is 6 X 9' and sitting on a concrete pad on the end of my shop.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 01-13-2015 at 7:42 PM.