Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story Stick Gauge

Blog Entries

Story Stick Gauge

The tea cabinet for my wife has received a lot of positive feedback from friends and family. It also seems like a good addition to our farmers market items.

For production use I thought having a story stick with a stop might be a good idea.

Story Stick Gauge.jpg

My story sticks get the base reference end blackened with a marking pen.

This is my first gauge type tool. Still needs some refinement, but this works fine for now.

Thinking maybe rip a bunch of different sticks to the same thickness so the locking/sliding head can be used on a bunch of different projects.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here is a shot of the SSG being used to mark for a rip cut:

Marking for Rip Cut.jpg

Kind of like using an Odd Jobs or a combination square for the same thing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Looks like a good idea Jim!

Blog Entries
    The block on that gage looks like the one I made for a marking gage shown in an "Arts and Mysteries" article in Pop Woodworking a few years back.
    I made several, so if I made a long beam. I could have a story stick like yours.

Jim, it must be cold out there in your shop. Got the same problem here in Indiana, but I use a couple of space heaters to warm the shop up to about 50 degrees. Just made a story stick also, for a bunch of bird houses I'm making. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Jim, it must be cold out there in your shop.
    It has been in the 40s of late. That isn't too bad. If it gets much lower I have a little heater I plug in and aim it toward the bench. If it gets into the 50s I work without the gloves.

jtk

It's so cold in my shop right now that some of the florescent lights wont start. I have a large heater but it's expensive to run, so I only heat the shop on the weekends right now.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I like the story stick idea and have used one a little bit on a few projects. I am not all that great at working with them yet, and would love to hear about folks' experience with them. Maybe I'll go back and see if I can find an article that deals with their use and blow the dust out of my brain and try them again.

My shop used to be like yours when we lived in the Seattle Area and I often had to work with a heater in the winter. My new shop is somewhat of a "walkout type basement" that is hooked into the downstairs heater. Of course, the wether here is colder than Seattle in the winter, but it is nice to just "leave the heat up" a bit when I have a glue-up going with PVA glue and know that it won't get cold enough to cause a problem. Have to say, the heater has me spoiled. I'm working on a bench for my shop now and doing some of the rough dimensioning with hand planes. The heat goes way down when I'm doing that!

Blog Entries
    It's so cold in my shop right now that some of the florescent lights wont start.
    I get that on occasion. They eventually warm up.

Of course, the wether here is colder than Seattle in the winter, but it is nice to just "leave the heat up" a bit when I have a glue-up going with PVA glue and know that it won't get cold enough to cause a problem. Have to say, the heater has me spoiled. I'm working on a bench for my shop now and doing some of the rough dimensioning with hand planes. The heat goes way down when I'm doing that!
    With a lot of dimensioning and other planing, it gets warm enough without the heat to take my jacket off, at least until there is a pause in the work flow.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Jim, are these the gages similar to the one you made?

The link here is to a podcast making the gages.

https://logancabinetshoppe.wordpress...arking-gauges/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Story Stick Gauge.jpg

My story sticks get the base reference end blackened with a marking pen.

This is my first gauge type tool. Still needs some refinement, but this works fine for now.
    jtk
    Very neat idea Jim! I would need some instructions for myself (I suppose you can write those right on the stick).

Blog Entries
    They work on the same principle. Mine doesn't have a scribing pin or a back bevel, didn't think of that.

I have seen rounded top slides on gauges and do like the look. To me rounded over end grain is very appealing.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    I apologize for hijacking the thread. It was not my intention.

I was excited to see you add a dimension to the utility of the gage.

Blog Entries
    I apologize for hijacking the thread. It was not my intention.
    Apology not needed, I wasn't even aware of the hijacking. Not sure if comparison, questions and more information could really be a hijacking.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Very neat idea Jim! I would need some instructions for myself (I suppose you can write those right on the stick).
    Thanks Pat,

I try to remember to write what project the stick is used for at the top. This one has a hang hole that my permanent sticks tend to have. Some sticks get erased with a swipe of a plane.

The lines are then also marked as to what they measure.

jtk