Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Story Stick Gauge

Blog Entries

Update on Modification

After a little use it seemed it would make sense if one edge was shorter than the thickness of the stock used on most of my projects. So the base was trimmed.

Story Gauge.jpg

There is a note to myself about positioning the block for the shelf dado layout.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I like the looks of it, great idea. I have never used a story stick, per say, but have marked one piece and marked others using that original piece as a master. I have been thinking about using a story stick for a project I have in mind, my project is not as nice as your cabinet, but is a practical shop storage cabinet. Thus, your post came at a good time for me.

I have also been thinking about making a marking gauge, because I don't have one yet. The older I get the closer to a Neander I seem to be getting. I am currently working on restoring planes.

At any rate your idea seems extremely practical and so useful it looks like one of those "why didn't someone think of that before" ideas!

Stew

Jim,

I think it's that would be really handy. One could have an entire projects dimension on one stick. There would be four sides to work with. I think I will have one in my future.

Glen