Thread: Oneida's V-System Cyclones--Resin Bodies?

Oneida's V-System Cyclones--Resin Bodies?

Anyone have one of the Oneida V-System Cyclones with the new conductive resin (aka plastic) bodies?

I'm contemplating a cyclone andthe V series is interesting--but all the glowing reviews of the series are of the steel-bodied version. To me, the change is radical enough that the old reviews are now null and void.

At this point my thoughts are wavering between the V-3000 and the PSI Tempest 3.5 HP model. If it lives up to its published specs (and i may never know if it does or doesn't) it's a heckuva lot of cyclone for the buck.

How about it, resinobody owners? What's the verdict?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I have the V3000 which replaced an all metal 2HP internal Oneida cyclone that worked very well but couldn't support two machines at once. The V3000 does so well. So far I'm really happy with the enhanced suction and the significantly larger filter which is HEPA while the old one wasn't. I have to say that the resin has one big advantage in assembly... it's a lot lighter and was shipped UPS versus freight like the old metal unit. So far I am a happy camper. Had it about 2 months and I use it just about everyday. I'd recommend ordering the remote and filter gage when you buy it. I ended up ordering those after the fact. The 3000 uses the same main trunk diameter of 7" which is why I didn't step up to a gorilla as well as unit height. The V3000 was a bolt in replacement. Mine supports a full shop with a MiniMax CU3000 combination machine, 2 lathes, router table and MM16 bandsaw. The 2 HP unit worked fine as long as I wasn't using 2 machines at once.

Jim

3. I actually started a similar thread before I purchased my V3000 in October. I have the dust collector installed, PVC pipe purchased but no ducting run yet. I had hoped to start an installation thread soon.

The question that should be asked is if the resin allowed Oneida to make any design changes to the cyclone. The helical baffle or ramped inlet are easier to manufacture so a more direct comparison the the Clearvue can be made. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The question that should be asked is if the resin allowed Oneida to make any design changes to the cyclone. The helical baffle or ramped inlet are easier to manufacture so a more direct comparison the the Clearvue can be made. Dave
    Does the Oneida use a ramp or baffle? I couldn't tell and it looks like the body is minimized too. The yellow (steel) ones look like a round tangential inlet. The round tangential is about the least expensive inlet you can have on a cyclone (which is its primary advantage, at least in steel). Rectangular tangential might be less expensive, but then you need a proper transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post

Does the Oneida use a ramp or baffle? I couldn't tell and it looks like the body is minimized too. The yellow (steel) ones look like a round tangential inlet. The round tangential is about the least expensive inlet you can have on a cyclone (which is its primary advantage, at least in steel). Rectangular tangential might be less expensive, but then you need a proper transition.
    I hate to hijack. But what about their plastic Super Dust Deputy? It appears to have a ramp and a square inlet like Pentz recommends. They must be reading his site at the very least!

I'm sure there are other criticisms of the super dd, but it seems like an improvement at least.