Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still waiting for my 30 mpg Tacoma

Still waiting for my 30 mpg Tacoma

I fully expected that today, at the Detroit Auto Show, Toyota would introduce the new Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine that could get 30 MPG Fwy.

Well, they introduced a nice new truck, but only announced an upgrade to the 6 cylinder, no turbo diesel, and no stats on power or mileage.

I guess it is OK to wait for the info since I am planning on buying a truck in Fall, 2017.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My old trusty never die no matter what you did to it 4-banger (22R) 4-speed manual 1990 Toyota Pick 'Em Up would only get 27 right after the tune-up only to fall back to its usual 25.

When I shopped for a new Tacoma (got a 2006 Double-Cab, Long Bed), I was quite disappointed that the size and height of the truck had grown. The V6 on that one can get 21 if I'm careful and baby the throttle so we basically get 17 out of it on average.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My 2001 4WD, V6 Tacoma Xtra cab gets 17-19mpg. It gets about 12 when towing a trailer. Maybe a 4 cylinder two wheel drive Tacoma might get 30 mpg some day.
    I've been driving Toyota Trucks since 1986, and they've never been particularly good on gas mileage, but then that's not the point of a truck.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

My first truck was a 1978 manual transmission Datsun that got 22 mpg. My current truck is a 2004 automatic transmission Tacoma that gets 22mpg. 37 years, shouldn't it be better?

There's no escaping the physics involved.

Bigger vehicle, lower MPG.
    Until common rail diesels come to our shores,
    28 MPG on the highway is pretty good.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/45_MPG_Pickup_Truck.html

My 05 Ford Super Duty x-cab F250 diesel gets 16 around town and 20 when on the road at 70 or less. Driving to Phoenix at 75, I get 19. Pulling a 28' 5th wheel travel trailer 9.5 - 12 @ a steady 62MPH.

My 1970 F250 with a 390 motor got 9. Empty, loaded, trailer, around town..........9 MPG.

My daughters Dodge diesel 1 ton crew cab gets better.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just traded in a 2011 Ranger cab & a half, 2.3 5 speed 2wd. I averaged 24 in the winter and 29 in the summer. Usually loaded. When I was empty on a trip I could get over thirty, best was 34.6 really trying, two lane back country roads.

Loved the mileage, but it was just not big enough. Bought a 2014 F150, 3.7 N/A V6, six speed auto. Getting 18ish winter, 22ish summer, not too bad for a full size truck.

My 2013 F250 6.7 Diesel: 15mpg around town, 21mpg on hwy running 60 (19 running 80). 12-14 pulling a 7x17 cargo trailer loaded with cabs.

My wife's Sonata: Well, that's another story.
    -Lud

Dodge claims 28 MPG out of their new small diesel (3.0L V-6, I think, dubbed the "EcoDiesel") in their 1/2-ton truck (larger than a Tacoma). I really hope this engine succeeds--I'd like to see more trucks and vans out there in the used market in a few years. With the race for more towing capability across the board, I think there's been a hole in the truck market for a long time--contractors who need to be able to haul a truck/van full of tools, get good mileage, maybe tow something small once in a while, but don't need 350 HP/800 ft-lbs of torque, where the current crop of diesels are in the 3/4- and 1-ton trucks.

As for no progress over 37 years, what was the HP in that Datsun vs. the newer Tacoma? I bet the Tacoma has at least double... Also, what were the weights of the two trucks? And then there are creature comforts, body construction and safety, longevity, and the big one--emissions.

I've driven plenty of old vehicles and newer ones. Short of a lemon, the newer ones win in every category every time.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Diesel is so crazy expensive, at least here in Minnesota, that diesel vehicles don't save any money unless the MPG is a LOT higher than the gasoline version of the same vehicle. I love diesel vehicles, but with diesel at 75 cent to a dollar per gallon more than gasoline and the higher costs of the vehicle it just doesn't make sense most of the time. If you need to tow large trailers, especially in the mountains, then diesel makes sense even if it costs more.

I had a nice Golf with diesel engine, but that was back when diesel prices were like 25 cents more than gasoline.

My Tacoma (2014) gets about 21.5 mpg in town and around 23 on the interstate. They are working on engines to come out around 2017 that will get 30 mpg.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    There's no escaping the physics involved.

Bigger vehicle, lower MPG.
    Also weight, horsepower, speed and air resistance have a huge effect. They get way over 1,000 mpg in the Shell eco marathon.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

For a furniture maker (me), the bigger and bigger pickups are nuts. I need to haul two adults at most (not two rows of seating and four doors!). I need to get some sheets of plywood in the bed, but it is okay if the tailgate is down and the sheets sit on a platform as high as the wheelwells. I need a lumber rack. I need the bed big enough to hold one or two pieces of completed furniture. I don't need to tow 30,000 pounds. Heck, I don't really need the truck to tow anything. That is, the truck could be smaller than my 2012 Tacoma. What else I want it to do is be fuel-efficient. The truck I just outlined could be powered by the Prius drive train, and should get 45-50 mpg combined. Sigh.

Blog Entries
    My only diesel was in a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix. Don't remember the mileage, probably in the mid 20's. I really liked that car, but my son wrapped it around a fire hydrant.
    NOW you tell me...

I don't think I'd ever trade my plush 21+ MPG full sized 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 4X4 5.3L Crew Cab for a cramped up, hard seated, stiff riding Tacoma, even if it did get 30 MPG.

Miles.jpg