Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight of old planes.

Casting is rough, but plane works well, that's my heavily cambered jack/scrub.

My bench is on my front porch so I keep it clean and I actually have gotten to like it that way. I pickup after every session and cleanup is good for reassessment and future planning, sort of like shower

I received my Stanley No. 8, Type 6 and this plane is only 8 lbs and 12 oz.
    For comparison my Millers Falls No.7 is 7 lbs while Wood River No.7 is 9 1/2 lbs.
    Plane works like a charm and is surprisingly flat. I have to say though that Millers Falls totes work better for me, i might have to make replacement totes using Millers Falls as a template.

Blog Entries
    I have to say though that Millers Falls totes work better for me, i might have to make replacement totes using Millers Falls as a template.
    I do not know if you have made totes before, if so, maybe someone else will enjoy this. Here is a post by Clint Jones about making a tote.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...te-making-Part

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, thanks for that link! I have not made one before, but I think I will this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Jim, thanks for that link!
    Your welcome, there are a lot of great posts in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQ section in the Sticky Threads.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I have only one modern plane. It's a Wood River #4. In general, I like the plane. The fit and finish out of the box was very good. Adjustments are smooth and it looks nice. My only complaint is the weight. It's a heavy chunk of metal and 99 times out of 100, I'd prefer a lighter plane. Eventually, I'll find a vintage (pre-war) Stanley #4 to replace it.
    I picked up one of those planes this morning and was shocked at the weight so I'll pass and renovate my oldies.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening