Thread: Router bit for a high chair tray

Router bit for a high chair tray

I need to buy a router bit to rout a high chair tray.

I could buy a Whiteside Tray bit that is flat on the bottom or a Whiteside Round Nose Core Box Bit.

The tray bit looks a little easier to use for this application, but do you use either one frequently for anything other than routing a tray?

Thanks in advance
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I've used that tray bit style for raising door panels.

Trying to use a core bit to hollow out a recess generally results in ridges all over the bottom of the recess. Each pass with the bit makes a groove. The grooves would have to be extremely close together to avoid leaving ridges between the grooves. So you get a big sanding job to flatten the bottom of the recess.

The one time I made a tray-like object by routing the interior, I did the bulk of the work with a 1/2" plunge bit in my table-mounted router. I foolishly decided to make the corners rounded, so I used a core box bit at the edges.

The sanding job was awkward, to say the least. I could use first my ROS, and then a 1/4sheet finishing sander for much of the job, but the corners were bad bad bad.

Since then I have done the job using a flat (plywood) base with applied edges. I get a nice curved rim to the tray by shaping the stuff on the router table, then sawing off strips from the stock. I can, by machining both edges of a board, get the entire rim from one machining session.

Then just miter the strips and glue down. I pin from the bottom: clamping would require far more clamps than the Chief of Bugetary Matters will allow.

Make the project a little bit over-sized and trim to size when everything else is done. You can put a bevel on at the same time, or edgemill the project, or whatever you want. By doing this a lot of slight misalignments just disappear..

Good luck.

Tray or bowl clearing bits are more versatile than their name implies.

The rounded edges provide a smoother transition vs straight sided bottom cleaning bits when making overlapping passes. They're great to use when router-planing. They leave fewer track marks. For contained applications like a tray or bowl, it may be hard to get everywhere with a random orbit sander, so fewer track marks makes for a little easier clean up.

Making overlapping passes with a corebox bit is really hard; you'll get a scalloped surface unless you're overlaps are perfect.

Aw, a high chair. Congratulations.

I will make you a deal. We will send you free Whiteside bits if you will do a follow up post with your opinion.

We talked to Chris Miller at Whiteside and he is thinking maybe 1408 or 1411 round nose bits.

In any case, if you call Jo at 800 346-8274 (emgt@carbideprocessors.com) she will get you some bits to test and you can decide for yourself.

Tom Walz
    Also a Grandpa
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I need to buy a router bit to rout a high chair tray.

I could buy a Whiteside Tray bit that is flat on the bottom or a Whiteside Round Nose Core Box Bit.

The tray bit looks a little easier to use for this application, but do you use either one frequently for anything other than routing a tray?

Thanks in advance
    I suppose you are thinking that you would make a template to define the final shape and then some sort of overhead platform with a bearing guide on the bit to route out the tray. I have seen where people use this sort of platform / outrigger to do tabletop flattening for example. Maybe you could do this with a router table and template but then its all upside down and invisible.

I have a 1-1/4" dish carving bit and use it frequently for flattening jobs. As others have said it makes for nicer transitions between passes. I also used it to cut scuppers in the inwhales of my canoe. I've seen people use them to make drawer pulls as well. It's a versatile bit for sure.

That is a very generous offer, Tom. I had ordered the tray bit, so you may want to withdraw your offer. If not, I would love to review a comparison.

>>Tom Walz
    Also a Grandpa, Call Jo ...<<

Is this cool or what?

--- 1 1/2 times a Grandpa- #2 due in June...

Thank you Dave. I'll race you. #2 is due at the end of May or beginning of June

Ha Ha! You could be in trouble ... June 1st is the official date. Just found out yesterday it's a boy. His 4 year old big brother-to-be is over the top excited.

BTW- this the 3rd if not 4th pregnancy we know of that is due in early June. Your's (well, not "your's", your's) is the 5th.

What was it about last year's Labor Day that I missed?

Mr. Kent

Our offer is still open. We, and the experts at Whiteside, are curious.

Your question was well written and well thought out and we look forward to your review.

Please contact Jo at 800 346-8274 or emgt@carbideprocessors.com and tell her which bits you would like.

Sincerely,
    Tom Walz
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Thank you Tom. I just sent an e-mail to Jo.
    I am a true fan of Whiteside bits. I will be very happy to use and review.