Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jointer Arrived - Problem Resolved Update

New Jointer Arrived - Problem Resolved Update

Assembled the new Yorkcraft 8" jointer today. This is my 1st new major machine purchase. Up until now all machines have been used and most old vintage types. I'm concerned about several things and would appreciate some feedback before I call customer service on Monday.

I had some shipping and instruction manual issues but they were minor and not worth mentioning further. But I am a bit disappointed in the fit & finish, so my first question is...Is it normal to have paint chips and indentations in the castings? (I would post a pic but the pic file is too large & I don't know how to shrink it) But the castings have pits, dents and paint chippings. The table surface appears flat and smooth, so this is just cosmetic, but I expected a little better finish on a new machine.

The major issue I have now is...The first board I jointed was a 1 x 6 white pine. Very nice sharp edge. Then I turned it over and face jointed it. I saw several small streaks in the wood which must mean one or more of the blades have a nick. I also noticed that the main wheel (mobil base) was worn BEFORE being installed. This could only mean it had been used. I'm now wondering if I got a machine that has used parts on it.

Like I said, customer service will get a call on Monday morning and I'll be sure to post the results. Others on SMC have said good things about their service. Hope it holds true. There are some positive things about this jointer, but I'm not in the mood to be too positive right now. Looks like I'll be making the glass/magnet knife setting jig that Per posted sooner than I thought.

I'll post pics for the police as soon as I figure it out...thanks for any input.

And COREY...if you read this...Happy Birthday
    - John Whittaker
    Last edited by john whittaker; 07-25-2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Problem Resolved

Thanks John! Congrats on the new machinery. That is the kind of thing that usually happens to me! I hope you get it all straightened out. For me, I don't buy new machinery very often and when I do buy, I expect a new machine to look like a new machine. Dings, scratches and other marks are your job to put on the equipment!

Corey

[QUOTE=john whittaker](I would post a pic but the pic file is too large & I don't know how to shrink it)

As far as the jointer goes I'd call them about your concerns. From what I hear they have good customer service.

For reducing the picture size, try this program : Digital Photo Resizer ( http://www.icegiant.com/dprz.shtml )

Pete

John,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the minor imperfections in the castings where there are not meant to be machined surfaces. If some of the pits are in the machined surfaces you have need to be concerned. Now if the jointer shows wear as if it has been used or assembled and tested then you may have reason to be dissappointed. The knife thing would concern me. A new jointer should have good sharp un-nicked knives. I don't know anything about Yorkcraft machinery, never even laid eyes on one as far as I know. I know some "brands" are well known for their less than perfect castings. I've got a couple of machines that have poor castings but they are still very servicable machines.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I think your concerns about the castings is what seperates machines by hunderds and even thousands of dollars. Alot of manufactures use the same castings. High end makers pay more for the top of the stack casts, while other use the ones with blemishes. When you call on Monday ask for some touch-up paint, it's normally a free item.
    At the level of Yorkcarft, you should expect a machine that works as properly under normal non heavy duty use.
    Good luck with it.

Richard

Pics Attached

Peter, Thanks for the link. If you see pics....it worked. Hope I didn't make them too small. Typical of me...Why do something a little when you can do it a LOT. I attached a pic of the assembled jointer and a sample of some of the pitting. But as you all said, it's only cosmetic. But I agree with Corey... scratches are my job. The knives are my main issue. Thanks for your input.

- John W
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy am I glad you posted about the Yorkie. I have been looking at that machine vs the Bridgewood at 350 dollars more, and was wondering what some of the differences might be. I know the motor on the Bridgewood is American, and the table is 1" wider. But the fit and finish thing is interesting. Keep us posted on how Wilke treats you.

Buying tools sight unseen is tough. This is why we have to do this, tell each other the whole story about our tool purchases. It really helps.

Here I am wasting bandwidth again...

Hi John

I've had no experience with Yorkcraft, aside from stopping by York, PA. to look at them once. Wilke used to assemble, test and check the setup of Bridgewood machines before they shipped them. I don't know if they do that with Yorkcraft. Even if they do, I certainly wouldn't expect wear on wheels and chipped knives. I think Jim and Richard are right about the casting blemishes as long as they don't affect structural integrity. I wish I had one of those in MY shop.

Curt

While I was typing my last reply the pics were posted, and I think that is TERRIBLE! It looks like a bad attempt to hide some shipping damage. They didn't even feather the edges.

Scream bloody murder.

I would.

Dear john
    first of all congrats on your first major machine purchase. I don't want to sound like a cold harted guy but I personally do not think the little nicks and dents are a big deal. the nick in the blade is, ah... to bad, but not a show stopper. you will nick the blade in time anyway. As others have said, there is a direct connection with the cost of a machine, as opposed to others in that class, and the fit and finish. For a machine in the yorkcraft range you probably have what is considered an acceptable level of quality. If it was a martin then it would be a little different.

best wishes
    lou

John, I can understand your disappointment, that being a New Machine. My thoughts are that you should CLOSELY inspect and find the nicks in the knife/knives and take a good closeup shot of each of those, also get a good shot of the worn wheel and this shot you posted here, and send them to Wilkie. I would then call them and complain about all three items, BUT considering the price point, (ie; $ savings over the next higher priced/quality unit), I would expect that they should replace the bad knives and wheel, but as long as the machined surfaces are all good, I think that a little work with an angle grinder and a little touchup paint, (that they should supply), would have that machine both looking and performing just like a new machine should. I know it looks bad, but as has already been mentioned, at that price point, performance is what you're buying, but for better quality fit and finish, it costs more.

Good luck with Customer service, and hopefully they will treat you well and make you a Happy Customer.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

John,

Like everyone else said, I wouldn't be to concerned about the casting blemishes, But if I thought for one minute that the machined had been a demoed, used or just plain shop worn, or contained previously used parts I would threaten to return the machine if I didn't receive some kind of compensation. In my opinion, the nick in the knives is unacceptable. I'll put my own nick in my own knives if you don't mind. Whether it is Yorkcraft, Delta or Festool, that product needs to be delivered as advertised. Don't let them get away with that BS. I don't think the jointer was advertised with casting blemishes, nicked knives and other previously used parts.

The End
    Dan

HI John
    Get after customer service...that looks like a used unit...with poor retouching...get 25% off at least...with full warranty!! keep us posted
    mike

Cooled off a bit

Hey...Thanks for all the input. I have to admit that it was 190 degrees here today and between the temp in my garage and the jointer issues....I was a little HOT earlier. Before I jump to any conclusions I'll give Wilke a chance at customer service.

This machine comes with a built in three wheel mobile base that is very nice. The ~500 lb jointer turns on a dime and is easily moved which is very important in my small space. And while I'm a bit disappointed in the castings, they are cosmetic and should not affect performance. I have not checked the top with a gage yet but as long as it is level & plumb...and the blades are replaced I think I'll be satisfied. I'll be interested in the explanation for the wear marks on the wheel and the blade problem. But we all make mistakes & it is only fair to give them a chance. The true test will be in the performance. I bought this for a specific project which requires miles (slight exaggeration) of jointing on hard maple and walnut. I'll post results of my discussion with Wilke....and project pics when complete.

- John W

Experience with Wilke

I've bought several items from Wilke Machinery, including a Bridgewood Jointer. Wilke is a pretty big outfit, and they have a good reputation for above-board business practices.

Unlike some here, I don't think for a minute that Wilke would risk their reputation by packaging a used machine to send to you. I doubt they have a shortage of Yorkcraft Jointers, and they have a "scratch and dent (or something similar)" area on their web site, so that would say to me that their normal way of disposing of demo machines is to put them up for sale at a discount.

What I think you're seeing is touchup that occurred at the factory. Who knows what your machine went through in the late stages of assembly -- that's the "pig in a poke" risk we take by ordering sight-unseen.

A few years back, when I bought my jointer, the guy I spoke with said that one difference between Yorkcraft and Bridgewood is that Bridgewood goes through the on-site Wilke pre-shipping inspection, and Yorkcraft doesn't. If that's still true, that could mean that Wilke doesn't even open Yorkcraft items, which lends even less viability to the idea that they touched-up paint on the machine.

Lots of crazy stuff goes on in the Chinese assembly plants... and I'm betting that's where your problem occurred.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL