Thread: Alternative carving

Alternative carving

Some of you know I have another business building/ restoring vintage straight razors as well as collecting them.
    I managed to pick up a couple of straights made in Paris for a project I had in mind. I've carved pre ban Ivory before as well as using Mammoth Ivory.
    For one of the razors I carved the scales shown here and then Scrimshawed them as well. On the one end, since the blade was stamped Monmarte, I did the Cathedral Sacre Coure. On the other side I did the Eiffel Tower.
    The other razor with the barbers pole, I made the silver bolsters and used colored Scrimshaw to make a razor for a client who has a barbershop in Wyomissing.
    On another razor since the shape reminded me of a hump back Whale I made scales out of Buffalo horn then inlaid a carved and Scrimshawed image of a whale.

sorry , but some photos from the phone get rotated but you'll get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

And,,,,,,
    if you can scratch it you can Scrimshaw it. Like I have nothing better to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

I wish I could scratch it like you do!
    Your work always amazes me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I wish I could scratch it like you do!
    Your work always amazes me.
    Thank you Bruce! Hey. Give it a try. It's fun. Plastics, Corian, bone etc. all work. A sharpie is all you need. Just play and see what happens.
    A bunch of sailors at some point did it while chasing Whales and look how their pastime is cherished today.

maybe this will inspire someone to inlay a small piece into a box with a monogram or whatever just to make it personal and unique.
    I hope!
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 01-14-2015 at 6:46 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Hey Guy's,

I run a laser and it can do PERFECT lines. That being said there is nothing more perfect than hand work!!! Well done.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Yeah, there is something to be said for seeing hand work and the imperfections it contains. It's what I call " The intangible echoes of the soul"
    it adds life somehow.
    Just like the guy who won Architect of the Year because he did all his renderings by hand. You could see erasures etc. but it wasn't done on a CAD system. Some still appreciate the human touch. Fallible as it may be.
    The Woodworking Studio

As always your uniqueness sets you apart from almost all of us. Thanks again for sharing.
    "Always Chipping Away"

We all have our own unique niche but thank you Roger.
    The Woodworking Studio

9. Now you can confuse everyone who enters your shop when you ask for that clipper lighter
    Its over there...
    No not that one stupid

Hehe, yeah. But all good things come to an end. Used it up and it went in the trash.
    But I just finished another carved razor with dot scrim and an Abalone inlay. Also added " carvings" on the spine of the blade. Lots of fun in tempered steel. Files won't touch it. But it's neat.
    The Woodworking Studio