Thread: Next Up,,,door panel trim

Next Up,,,door panel trim

This is the next part of the carvings. Trim to go around the door panels. I lied. The doors aren't 10 ft. They're only 9'6".
    The trim is already calculated out to exact dimensions as you can see. Now the trick is to get the pattern repeat to fall exactly where the sticks will be mitered. I just can't carve a stick and miter it anywhere because each corner needs to be exactly the same as well as the look of each piece has to appear identical. Fun stuff!
    The photo they supplied of the look they want is pretty much to scale. That carving and detail will fall in a 1 1/2 " stick. Cool huh?
    And since all of the trim is getting done in Gold Leaf we decided than rather pay me to carve several hundred feet I'll cast all the remaining pieces from the masters I'll carve. OK then! This should be interesting to say the least.

But then again the Cherub and Acanthus leaf panels that are coming up are really cool and should provide challenges. But before I get ahea of myself I think I need to stock up on some really small Pfeils! A magnifier might help too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 01-14-2015 at 5:57 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Looks to me you had better hire the wife again for laying out the patterns. Good luck!
    "Always Chipping Away"

Not for just what will be 3 sticks. All the rest will be cast. The 1300 ft I carved with 33,000
    leaves was another story!
    The Woodworking Studio

Yes, you did say cast didn't you. Old age must be catching me.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Made some templates and did a sample. Rather small. Top view, Thumbnail for size , front view and reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Beings these will be cast and gold leafed just how detailed do your pieces have to be? Do you still have to be as detailed as an stained piece? Thanks!
    "Always Chipping Away"

Oh yeah. Cast/leafing changes nothing. I didn't want them as "blob" looking as the sample. But I'll se what they have to say about it. I think I gave them enough to go on.

And the casting hides nothing. It'll pick up woodgrain , pores. And it's even been known to pick up a fingerprint!
    The Woodworking Studio