Thread: source for hss

source for hss

I am in need of a source for flat hss to shape into cutters for swan neck hollower.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction
    I am aware of the usual retail sources like craft supplies, and rocker etc etc
    Am hoping to find a source where i can find pieces that will allow me to grind my own shapes and sizes.

What are the dimensions for HSS you need. I researched it one time for my hollower.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Enco sells HSS square stock.

Do a Google search for "high speed steel blanks"....here some 1/4" by 1/4" by 2 1/2" ....5 for $10 at Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/HSS-cutting-to.../dp/B0002EXRWW
    Ken

John's correct. Enco sells them under "Tool Bits - square"...
    Ken

Allen,

Here are some companies that you can check out: MSC, Enco and McMaster Carr. They all sell HSS cutters in a variety of configurations and sizes.

Another options is to buy O1 tool steel and heat treat it yourself. It is very easy and Alan Lacer has a DVD where he shows how to make hook tools. He goes through all the steps and you an apply this process to other tools that you make. All you need is a MAPP gas torch and some quenching oil (I use corn oil). I have made a variety of different tools. Once treated, O1 tools are not HSS but can be easily sharpened. O1 steel is very fine grained and gives a nice edge. One advantage of buying annealed (soft) O1 steel that it comes in a lot of different sizes and thicknesses, a lot more than for the HSS cutters. It is easily cut and shaped before heat treating. I have made a number of small teardrop shaped scrapers (3/4 x 1.5 inches) for my Binh Pho scraper and they all work great. I sharpen my O1 tools on my CBN wheel without any problems but I don't use the soft annealed steel on the CBN.

Good luck and cheers,
    David Gilbert

Allen,

I have purchased HSS from the Fastenal store I shop at. Grainger might also have it. Both of those stores look like they are nearby for you in or around Denver.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I go to my local saw sharpening service and get cut off pieces of HSS planer blades. He custom cuts planer blades in various sizes & thicknesses. I've got scrap cut off pieces up to 1 1/4'' wide & 3/16" thick from him for a small fee. They make excellent tear drop style scrapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    I go to my local saw sharpening service and get cut off pieces of HSS planer blades. He custom cuts planer blades in various sizes & thicknesses. I've got scrap cut off pieces up to 1 1/4'' wide & 3/16" thick from him for a small fee. They make excellent tear drop style scrapers.
    Must be nice having a saw sharpening service nearby. Our last one closed up shop decades ago.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I use Wholesale Tool, they have a branch here but also do mail order.
    Search on their site for. Home > Indexable Tools> Tool Bits & Blades> Ground Square Tool Bits (WT)
    and be sure to notice the small price difference for a little cobalt on the ones on the second page. Helps hold the edge a bit longer.
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 01-14-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I save the used planer and joiner blades and repurpose them. Pieces of disposable planer blades make great paint scraper blades too.

thanks everyone
    great sources

Another user of jointer blades. No problem cutting them with a cutoff disc but is anyone able to drill a hole through them? A slot is ok but is there a special drill bit?