Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax MM20 / S 500 P - Actual height?

Minimax MM20 / S 500 P - Actual height?

Hello all, this is my first post here, just joined. First I would like say thanks to all the folks who generously contribute their knowledge to this fine forum. I think it is one of the best on the net.

My 24 year old Minimax S45 band saw needs repairs, and while I hope to fix it (the subject of a different post), I plan to upgrade. I would like to get the Minimax 20" band saw, but the height of my work shop ceiling, which is unfinished with exposed joists, is exactly 85".

Minimax does not publish actual dimensions for this machine, but Erik Loza sent me a drawing indicating that the machine is 85" tall. If so, that will not fit. However, I'm not clear on whether the machine is actually 85" tall, or if that takes into account some extra space on top when the blade guide is extended to its highest point.

I would like to measure one of these machines in person, but am not aware of where I might find one in the Long Island, NY area. Failing that, is there anyone on this forum who has one of these machines who can give me detailed measurements?

Many thanks,

Len

I would think that the measurement that Erik provided is accurate...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, but Erik was not sure if the 85 inch measurement was the top of the machine or included an extra 2" for when the blade guide is raised to maximum height, as the guide post extends through the top.

He thought that the actual height of just the cabinet might be 83".

Len

I have a MM20 built in 2004. It is between 78 and 79 inches tall. The blade guide does not extend above the top of the saw even when raised to maximum height.

But my MM20 only has a resaw capability of about 16", not the 20" of resaw that the new MM20 has.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I own a MM20 with 20" resaw. Just went out and measured it for you. The top of the saw is ~81" and the guide bar sticks above the saw 4" when fully raised. Total is 85".
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks for the info. I understand that due to marketing wars over resaw height, that the dimensions of the machine have changed over time.

I need to know the actual measurements of the current S 500 P.

Based on your info about resaw height, I'm guessing it was before the specs were changed.

Regards,

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have a MM20 built in 2004. It is between 78 and 79 inches tall. The blade guide does not extend above the top of the saw even when raised to maximum height.

But my MM20 only has a resaw capability of about 16", not the 20" of resaw that the new MM20 has.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I own a MM20 with 20" resaw. Just went out and measured it for you. The top of the saw is ~81" and the guide bar sticks above the saw 4" when fully raised. Total is 85".
    Thanks. What year was your MM20 made?

Len

Id have to check on the saw. I bought it used so that's why I don't know off the top of my head. Ill look for you tomorrow.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike thanks for posting the photo. It looks exactly like the photo on MM's website. If you could provide an exact measurement from the bottom of the machine to the top, I can figure out if it will fit in my shop.
    Thanks!

(Isn't it odd that Minimax doesn't make the measurements available on their web site?)

Len

A member of this forum pointed me to a thread on woodnet that provided the following:

"Measured height on casters of the newer MM20 is 84". If you do not need casters it's about 81" You should have a bit more to move the saw upright with the Johnson bar/mobility kit that comes with it. The newer saws do have a 20" resaw capacity, but to accomplish that when you raise the guides all the way
    the guide bar comes 4" out of the top of the machine. FYI the saw is easily transported lying on it's "back" which is how I moved mine and got it into the shop."

So I'm good to go. Thanks all!

Len

Len, I'm going to add that dimension to the pdf sketch I sent you. Funny: 99% of guys are concerned with the max height, period. They must all have finished ceilings. I honestly cannot remember the last time this came up but you're right: It's a good dimension to know.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Can anyone tell me the height of the base? It look like about an inch and a quarter. I'm going to add casters and need to know what length threaded rod to order.

Thanks,

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Can anyone tell me the height of the base? It look like about an inch and a quarter. I'm going to add casters and need to know what length threaded rod to order.

Thanks,

Len
    You can move a MM pretty easy with the tool that they provide with the saw (and the wheels at the back of the saw). The only reason I can think of for putting casters on it is that the back wheels interfere with the ability to fold the bottom door all the way back. That's not been a problem for me so far.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ....the back wheels interfere with the ability to fold the bottom door all the way back....
    Mike, you probably knew this already but all owners need to do is pluck out the little cotter pin and slide the plastic wheel off the mobility kit axle, then the door will swing open a full 180 degrees. Takes literally seconds to do, since there is no weight on that wheel when the saw is sitting on the ground.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

15. I'm in the same boat as Len. 85" is pretty much all I can handle in height to clear some ductwork in my shop. I can imagine moving the machine from one side of this duct to the other, on occasion, and would like to know if it will pass under the 85" high ductwork while being moved with its mobile kit? From the thread, I'm guessing it won't, as I think the tow bar will lift it a bit. Any definitive answers out there? Thanks.