Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Chinese Laser

Yes I do have a multi meter, but you can't test the power side with that unless you want to die, I used it to verify power to the power supply though.

All I have been talking about is supply voltage, that's it, I've hinted at nothing beyond that.

It sounds like you are going to have to start replacing things to find out, that's unfortunate.
    Is there an electrical shop close to you that you could take the power supply to and have it tested?
    ExLas 130 Watt Reci
    1400mm x 1000mm

The cooling fan may not be an indicator of proper or correct input power. Your power supply needs either 120 or 240 volts AC, whatever it is switched to take for a source. The cooling fan is probably 12 volts DC so it could be running on either 120 or 240 volts power from the circuit. I am assuming that you have checked the selector switch and input source voltage to make sure they match.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So when you are talking supply voltage you are just talking about into the power supply? Or are you talking about the Power side? You can't test that with a multi meter.... The only shop I knew may not exist any more, been 20 years, and they were a rip off then... I'll see. The problem with replacing parts is I can't afford it. I can afford a tube, OR a power supply, OR the mainboard, but not all 3 or 2. That's why I'm so persistantly trying to figure it out.

I just was told this by a person in a power supply factory..... Is this Safe? " pls connect one Ampere Meter on the negative line (black line) between power supply and tube, then start working, and control the power supply output MAX power, if the MAX current more than 20mA, then the power supply is OK.".... Is that just an ordinary multi meter?

Keyword ..... Input
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Ok, so I put multi meter in black line from laser tube to power supply. Tech person at supply factory said it should read over 20mA....It was Zero, she said this shows the power supply is bad..... How does that sound?

I'll tell you what I would do if I were in your situation. I would disconnect the two wires from the laser tube and place them about two inches apart. Then I would use the LCD control panel and set the laser power to 50% and set it so that it fired for only 10mS when the test button is pressed. Then I would press the button and hope for an arc. If I saw a nice bright arc then I would conclude that the power supply is working. If i didn't see a spark then I would move the wires a little closer and try again. If that didn't work I would try the test button located on the power supply. If that still did not work then I would say the power supply is dead.

Again, this is only what I would do. I doubt it is something that most people would recommend and it certainly poses some risks. But if the power supply really is dead then there is not much to be lost, as long as you don't shock yourself.

BTW, there is the chance that there is someone near you that might be willing to lend a hand, but since you don't have your location listed - how would they know?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Well I've been talking to a woman at a power supply company and done some tests she recommended (metering the black wire...and I did the styrofoam test..... She says it sounds like the power supply for sure ....and that I am still under warranty (we'll see how that goes) ....so I should get one free. I could deal with that, then if it's not that I could better afford ..... with the power to the power supply I'mn almost sure that is the problem, but not 100%. I haven't found a for sure source for the power in readings yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Michael Wilson View Post
    Well I've been talking to a woman at a power supply company...
    "A" power supply company? Not the company that makes "your" power supply?

If she is going to replace your power supply under warranty then that sounds like you have the problem solved.

I haven't found a for sure source for the power in readings yet.
    I can't work out what you mean by that.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Afraid it wasn't the company I bought from, just some company in China that makes a power supply that works with my machine...we pretty much figured it must be the power supply and she said I should try to get it free from the company I bought it from since it is under warranty and I've only had it a few months...(Haven't heard a word from the company I bought it from of course. By the "power in" settings I meant what the voltage readings should be on the different input pins of the power supply . What they are without fire and with... I found some but wasn't positive it was the same as mine.

Have you actually tested the power at the plug in - the plug in where you plug the laser into the wall or wherever you plug it?

YES..... Everything works except for the laser firing. I have power all the way to the power supply, but not out.

Seems to be a pretty good analysis that it's the power supply! Find (buy) another one quickly and then keep after the folks you bought it from for a free spare. You clearly need a spare! In fact, I didn't listen to some extreme advice to have extras of such and based on what you're going through I goofed.....

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too. Problem is if it's the tube, I will have spent all my money on the power supply.... can't afford both that's why I've wanted to be very very sure. It looks like they riveted the freaking thing in there. I can't see anything visibly wrong, so want a view of the flip side. They don't look that complicated, use to fix TV's back in the Tube days, but not much of the new fangled stuff. Thanks for the input..