Thread: 95%? 98%? 100%?

95%? 98%? 100%?

When I was originally instructed in the use of the 80w laser I bought used, I was taught that the highest power setting I should use was 95%. No good explanation for why. So it's just been a habit. Can anyone corroborate or dispel this approach with an explanation of why?

Thanks!

Bob
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

From what I've read , using more then 95% power will drastically shorten tube life.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi I cant think of any machine you would run at 100% power or speed and expect it to last

its one reason I always try to buy a machine with more power than I need as you will always find a need for a little more power or speed

just my taughts Frank

Blog Entries
    Note to others: This applies to DC-excited tubes (i.e., glass) only, not RF-excited.

It depends upon what "100%" means... if the power supply is set appropriately, 100% is perfectly fine. However, if the supply is not limiting the output current to a certain level (and constantly watching the value to make sure it does not go above as conditions change), you will essentially leach material from the electrodes and contaminate the gas. Once contamination hits a certain level, you shouldn't expect it to lase reliably.

On the cheaper systems, particularly, the shop owners either set the max current level too high out of carelessness or they're trying to make high-power claims to beat out the competition.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It all depends on what the percentage means - which is dependent upon how the pot is adjusted on the power supply. Use the ammeter to establish what percentage is full power. I consider my 80W to be at full power when running at 24mA. That corresponds to 80% on my controller.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Good stuff, guys. Thanks. I'll continue with my 95% habit until such time as I have the where with all to dig into the supply board/pot/etc.
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

I run mine at 80% power almost all the time.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

I've never run this new one above 70% my time is not relevant most days so I lower speed rather then increase power.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander