Thread: Ultra adjustable bench hook

Ultra adjustable bench hook

a year or two ago, either Shop Notes or Woodsmith had on the cover a really cool adjustable bench hook. Ultra adjustable with threaded inserts for infinite variations of the miter. Made with plywood.

I would like to build, but can't find. Anyone seen it please?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    You might check Derek Cohen's site, inthewoodshop.com I think he has made an adjustable shooting board.

Not sure about an adjustable bench hook. I have made them with guides for different sawing angles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    It appeared in Shopnotes 111. You can Google "shopnotes adjustable bench hook" and it will come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You might check Derek Cohen's site, inthewoodshop.com I think he has made an adjustable shooting board.

Not sure about an adjustable bench hook. I have made them with guides for different sawing angles.

jtk
    Beautiful stuff. Very nice. Maybe when my wood is organized with the current shop remodel, I can do something like that.

lowell holmes
    It appeared in Shopnotes 111. You can Google "shopnotes adjustable bench hook" and it will come up.

I finally found the one I was looking for. Vol 23, issue134. I went to 111 above-is there one there that will perform better?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    I found the copy you are looking for. You can buy it on Amazon.

I have been considering building that one also, from issue 134. The hardware alone is around a hundred bucks. But looks very nice and I already have the LV shooting plane.

Wow. $100?

I guess it better work pretty good.

I have the magazine around the house in one of several piles (that my wife tolerates). Been meaning to get them all organized. Amazon is great.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    ... The hardware alone is around a hundred bucks. But looks very nice and I already have the LV shooting plane.
    $100 - that's a lot of threaded inserts, knobs and T track!

Blog Entries
    The hardware alone is around a hundred bucks.
    It had me going, then reality struck.

For most of my needs a fixed fence works fine with angled blocks to achieve mitered corners or other purposes for shooting angles other than 90º.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Easy enough to shim a bench hook to get another angle.

No reason to make an essential tool more complicated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Easy enough to shim a bench hook to get another angle.

No reason to make an essential tool more complicated.
    I agree.

However, the bench hook shown in issue number 111 uses an old miter gage from a table saw. I kind of like it. If you had it on a shooting bench hook,
    it would be easy to accommodate the slightest angle variation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I agree.

However, the bench hook shown in issue number 111 uses an old miter gage from a table saw. I kind of like it. If you had it on a shooting bench hook,
    it would be easy to accommodate the slightest angle variation.
    So maybe on my next shooting board I will plow a slot for a miter gauge.

Can a miter gauge withstand the constant pressure of a plane riding the end grain of a piece in its hold?

jtk