Thread: Melamine usage

Melamine usage

I am thinking of using melamine in the wood shop for a couple of things and wondered if anyone has used it, will it suffice

Redoing the shop and wanting to make a planning desk for the computer, drawing up plans, etc. Won't be used for hammering or assembly. Also thought I would use it for extensions to my miter saw as well as a top for my table saw rear extension table. Again, nothing will be hammered or assembled. I simply want it to hold up, allow for boards to slide along easily and like the white for light reflection. I plan to cap all edges with hardwood trim. Thanks for any advice.

Blog Entries
    I use it all the time for jigs and for tops. It holds up well.

I have used it with good results.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It does sag more than plywood. I wouldn't use it for horizontal application like shelves or desk tops. But if your spans are short, or if you have good support from other cabinet members, maybe it won't be an issue for you.

And the wear layer (the melamine) is only the thickness of a coat of paint. If you do a lot of sliding on it, you might wear through. Formica would give you a thicker wear layer, by a whole bunch.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-16-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Only problem is that it doesnt work well with the points of compasses. You should get the proper drafting underlayment for where you draw.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Not really a fan of Melamine, surface coat is really thin, doesn't wear well IMHO and tends to sag if not well supportrd. Prefer Plastic Laminate or Tempered Masonite for sliding surfaces. OK for a desk surface but for drawing I prefer Borca drafting surfaces (I'm an old Architect who still draws stuff up using a Mayline parallel bar and triangles).

I used it for an extension table on my table saw for years with no ill effects. It actually worked very well.

Red
    RED

I tend not to use Melamine, just because the core is particleboard, I'm much more likely to pick a core I like, be it plywood or MDF or whatever, and simply laminate an appropriate surface over it. It is more work but you get the surface you want. You have to think about the characteristics in the particular application. Melamine is heavy, it's not happy around water and as someone said above, it can sag if not well supported. Personally, I'd prefer a different substrate but your mileage can vary.