Thread: Decorating mugs with paint pens

Decorating mugs with paint pens

I wasn't sure where to put this inquiry but I thought this foum was closest to the topic . . .

My daughter tried to decorate some ceramic mugs using craft-store paint pens and did not have good success. I'm trying to help her out. I know sublimation is the way to go . . . but this is a low-budget project. I used to have a sublimation printer but I got out of it many years ago.

The pen she tried is a Craftsmart pen from Michaels. The pen is not durable for this application and the ink is flaking/chipping off. However, I see a lot of people using Sharpie oil pen markers and baking the mugs afterward. Some people have good results, some not so good. There is also a problem of color change after baking.

I also see DecoArt glass paint markers which also require baking. They say dishwasher safe in the data sheet. She would be happy just to get hand-washing durability.

The question is - does anyone have any experience with this kind of mug decorating, and if so what materials do you recommend?

Also, is there any kind of clear coat that could be baked on? If clear coat is not needed, that's even better.

Some places have Sharpies with oil-based pain in them, try Home Depot paint section. Then you bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. You could also use artist's brushes and the 1/2 pint cans of oil based paints available at most paint stores.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green