Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pay attention to your eBay accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is something you should forward to Paypal or ebay (same people, different cubicle).

jtk
    I have done that many,many times,paypal kept sending me a generic reply advising me on how to recognise "fake paypal emails" and how to protect myself!
    I guess I wasn't reporting anything new.

Blog Entries
    I think when Paypal wants you to do something, they don't send you a link. They instruct you to log into your account and tell you how to take whatever action they are suggesting. I vaguely remember a while back when PP was hacked. They were very proactive about it. They went public pretty fast. They publicly cooperated with the FBI. They hired the guy who designed the security scheme for the inter-bank monetary transfers. To my knowledge, they have been ok since.

Originally Posted by ken masoumi
    Everytime I buy something on ebay,I get a fake paypal invoice (for something else) within 24 hours of my purchase ,it is so predictable nowadays that as soon as I see it I delete it.

Since this is happening everytime, you probably have either malware or something on your computer that detects ebay purchases and causes the fake invoice...

I would delete ALL cookies and delete then reload my browser....

Try doing a virus scan also..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Originally Posted by ken masoumi
    Everytime I buy something on ebay,I get a fake paypal invoice (for something else) within 24 hours of my purchase ,it is so predictable nowadays that as soon as I see it I delete it.

Since this is happening everytime, you probably have either malware or something on your computer that detects ebay purchases and causes the fake invoice...

I would delete ALL cookies and delete then reload my browser....

Try doing a virus scan also..
    Unlikely. Ken may have been using a bit of hyperbole when he said "every time" (or maybe he wasn't), but this would be a very odd (and new to me) bit of malware.

Also, should a bit of malware actually be the cause... deleting your browser and cookies will do zero to resolve the issue as malware is rarely tied to cookies or the browser directory structure.

But a virus scan is always a good measure...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Also, should a bit of malware actually be the cause...

But a virus scan is always a good measure...
    I know it sounds odd or exaggerated but often when I buy something online,(ebay,lowes,etc.),I kinda expect one or two types of phishing emails the next day or so ,one is a fake paypal (something about "Dear customer,your PP account needs to be updated" or if you have not made this purchase,please click on the link below to correct it) ,the other is a fake Fedex"Package Delivery failure",I don't know exactly how they know I'm expecting a package and therefore(so they think) I'm more likely to fall for their scam.

I do need to use "malwarebytes"/virus scan soon ,haven't done that for a while but I find it easier to just delete these emails since it doesn't take a genius to figure out they are fake ,here's(a small portion of) Paypal's Reply to my last report to spoof@paypal :

Dear ken masoumi,
    Thank you for being a proactive contributor by reporting
    suspicious-looking emails to PayPal's Abuse Department. Our security
    team is working to identify if the email you forwarded to us is a
    malicious email.
    Paypal Will Always:
    • Address our customers by their first and last name or business name of
    their PayPal account
    Paypal Will Never:
    • Send an email to: "Undisclosed Recipients" or more than one email
    address
    • Ask you to download a form or file to resolve an issue
    • Ask in an email to verify an account using Personal Information such ........

Last edited by ken masoumi; 01-21-2015 at 12:15 AM.