Thread: Square corner routing question

Square corner routing question

The attached image is a VCarve preview of a project I have for a customer. I need a way to get the bottom corners and the point at the top to look more like a miter then rounded.
    Does anyone know how or if this can be accomplished?
    I am currently using VCarve but if it can be done in Aspire I would consider purchasing it but I would still need to know how to do.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.Rail.jpg

Have you tried asking on the vectric forums? It looks to me like you could pull this off with a v-carving toolpath followed by a profile path for the inside - but you'll still have to do some hand work to get the fillet in the deeper corner. I think I would just route it as modelled and chisel the corners square by hand unless you have to do a bunch.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Square corners are pretty easy to generate using a v-bit in V-Carve or Aspire but I don't think it can be done using a full bull nose bit like that. I'm sure it could be modeled in Aspire using a small radius 1/8" ball mill but would take longer and require more hand finish work.

As Jason suggested, check with the folks in the Vectric forum. They are very good and very helpful.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I know it would be easy with a v-bit unfortunately it has to be a 3/4" cove. Trying to avoid as much hand work as possible as these are 2 sided and looking at about 150 of them. This customer uses a lot of things like this so there will be many more to come if I can get it figured out.
    Thanks and I will check with the Vetric forum.

do another toolpath in the required areas to touch it up with a v bit (add another Layer)

6. another option is if you are running this in 2 1/2 d with small ball end, con- takes long time. How about some finishing hand work........

I ended up just running straight down the sides and not across the bottom. My customer is putting a mitered piece in for the bottom so the corners are square.
    We were trying to save on any handwork as there was a total of 180 pieces with both sides routed.
    Onsrud 145G12D 5x12 CNC router
    Homebuilt 4x8 CNC router
    Vytek FX5136 35watt Laser

square corners

have a look at the raised panels from MDF used an 1/8 bit and the corners are very near square, almost off as square
    Attached Images Attached Images