Thread: Ideas for legs on a live edge coffee table

Ideas for legs on a live edge coffee table

I have a beautiful piece of live edge walnut. As it is right now it is about 51 in long now and 25in at its widest point. I have attached pictures of the slab.

Right now I am having difficulty figuring out what to do for the legs. I am thinking it would be nice to have a magazine rack underneath. I was thinking maybe something like this:http://www.thefurnitureworks.com.au/...fee_table.jpg? If I did this I am thinking I'd square off the rounded edge of the slab, and make the base around 20x33. Would it ruin the natural look of the table if I build a leg system?

Any other Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice looking flitch. Couple thoughts;

-I would not round the straight cut, but rather cantilever the top from that edge or cut the edge so that it is two angles meeting offset to the center.

-That base does not really lend itself to a slab table top in my opinion. A very architectural base usually looks good with a slab table, in the same way that very refined timber frame looks good with a few peeled bark columns.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I used a redwood slab to build a coffee table and put hairpin legs on it. I'm not a fan of the heavy bases that often distract from the beauty of the slab. Hairpin legs are cheap, sturdy and give it a modern charm. You can get them on Etsy.com or at hairpinlegs.com. They'll make them any height and finish you want. Here's my table:

hairpin legs.jpg

Check out what my friend Wayne shows on his website. http://swallowtailstudio.com/gallery...ffeetables.htm

Live edge should be his middle name.

Find someone that welds, and especially someone that might make furniture or staircase railings. You could do some nice modern supports with either round or square tubing if you want a beefier look than something like the hairpin legs. I personally like the hairpin legs on thinner slabs, but any metal legs, rather than wood, puts the focus on the wood, in my opinion.

I'll be anxious to see what you come up with. I had the opportunity to get one, and really more, 2" thick purpleheart slabs, about 24 to 30 inches wide, and 8 to 10 feet long. Went and got my wife to look at them, and they had all been sold. Still bummed about that loss.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 03-01-2015 at 11:27 AM.