Thread: Arts and Crafts Desk

Arts and Crafts Desk

Greetings from Sydney, Australia.
    A recent project has been an Arts and Crafts Desk designed by Nancy Hiller (FW Project Plans). Timber is Australian Red Cedar left over from a Kayak build. Drawer front is Bird's Eye Maple; a departure from the A&C style but I think it works well. Finish is Livos oil followed by several coats of Tung Oil. One area I would be interested in hearing about is what others do to help the drawers slide a bit easier: this one has a bit of weight and needs some 'assistance'. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

A- Red Cedar Table.jpgA- Red Cedar Table 2.jpg

Peter Widders

I like the design and finish but the maple drawer front doesn't add anything in my opinion.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    High gloss is also not a typical A&C feature but, I really enjoy your take on the table. As to the drawer, what is the mechanism? Wooden runners in dados in the drawer sides? NK style? Center guide? I can say that I tried a product called Slip-it and it was very unsatisfactory. The drawer moved worse after the application than before.

For wood on wood mechanisms I have the most success with a precision fit lubed with a bit of canning paraffin. A loose fit will allow binding and a too-snug fit is well, too snug . If the fit is loose, I would glue additional material onto the runner and re-shape. I had to do this on a drawer that I mistakenly thought was too snug that I kept 'easing' until I discovered my error. Adjustment or additions to the kickers can also assure a good glide path by preventing the drawer from tilting down as it is pulled out. I use paraffin on these surfaces too.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice piece, you can make any modifications to any style you want and make it your own, there's no law saying you have to make A&C exactly the same way anyone else does.

It might just be me, but I saw the thread name as "Arts and Crafts Deck" and was wondering exactly how you'd do that.

Love it. I would be proud to say I had made something so well.

More detail photos about the legs, please.
    kudos

Thanks for the feedback and positive comments.
    Glenn- the drawer slides on wooden runners with an upper kicker each side to stop the thing dropping. I had been thinking about resin coating both surfaces; may try your tip with the paraffin.
    Jim - a couple of pics of the leg detail. The lower shape was done with a 1/2" forstner bit and finished with a small spokeshave. Taper was from 10" from floor.
    The finish - I had not used this product before (Feast Watson Floor Seal) but saw it on some pieces at an exhibition here recently and was very impressed with the finish.
    Peter

Legs 3.jpgLegs 1.jpg

Gorgeous table and bold design.
    As for the drawers; if they are wood sliding on wood, try using parafin wax on the runners. Or the old-timers trick of using a bar of soap. Simple but effective.

Blog Entries
    I prefer the finish you put on it.

Spectacular!

Very nice work and results!!!
    Jerry

Few items photograph as well in daylight as with a flash.
    Yours is exceptional - it's a fine piece, regardless of the light.

I think the legs are sharp.
    They're yours and that's noteworthy.

The finish and contrasting colors are great in my opinion.

Impressive, keep on building stuff!

Thanks to all for the compliments. I have another small hall table close to done and will post pics soon. I am thinking of selling the Arts and Crafts desk and would be interested in thoughts on what $$ I should put on the piece. Again, comments appreciated.
    Peter